Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Yet another 4WS thread

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
no0ne
My Generation: 5G

Post by no0ne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Find out error code first, maybe its just a temporary driving conditions code. But probably not :D

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 pm

AeroNotix,

Thanks for taking the time and translating the polish 4WS manual!
But I am really puzzled now.. In every procedure you translated, it says that you shouldn't have any 4WS errors? And if you have them, go clear them from the computer?

And also, if I may ask, I don't understand the difference between your procedures in the manual, and the reset procedure in this thread :
http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/honda-p ... -t102.html

AeroNotix

Post by AeroNotix » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:53 pm

Anzezaf no0ne has the full english 5th 4ws sections! Check his/her recent posts. So good to finally see it. I'm not a native Pole but I speak well enough so I struggled using the Polish version but to see an English version is very cool.

AeroNotix

Post by AeroNotix » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 pm

You need to try to first do a mechanical alignment (Very cheap to do) make sure you get it done to the specifications in the manual. If you want a custom alignment then you're on your own. I wouldn't bother if you want the 4ws working. Then you need to try to do the electronic 4ws alignment. I can help with that as well as no0ne's recent posts.

The reset procedure is garbage if you have a persistent error. You need to go through the full debugging procedure if you have any errors. I love this forum but people post the paperclip trick as a fix all. It fixes temporary errors and THAT'S IT. If something is broken it's broken.

If you can't do a full electronic alignment then it's time to break out the oscilloscope and start poking. It's not difficult but does require an oscilloscope. You can get 70% of the way there with just a voltage meter though.

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 am

Some ducker had removed the 4ws bulb from mine when I bought it. Turned out to be dry joints in the 4ws ecu. Took less time to fix than replacing the bulb. :roll:

The 4ws system is solidly reliable and any issues are easily fixed.

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:53 am

Vtecmec wrote: The 4ws system is solidly reliable and any issues are easily fixed.
From your mouth to god's ears :wink:

Today i will short the connector, find the code and do the paperclip reset routine. Hopefully it will be more than a temporary fix and in any case, I will write here.

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Just my luck.. I cant do the paperclip reset..

I do everything by the book, but the 4WS light keeps flashing code 20 -> two long flashes about 1 second long, and then a 5 seconds pause before repeating code 20

Could it be that the 4WS ECU is acting up and needs resoldering?

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Error 20 is main steering angle sensor. I had the same error, so my advice would be check sub sensor in the steering rack first.

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:47 pm

I was thinking of soldering the ECU first, as it seems like a simpler job.

Could I trouble you for some directions / steps to check the steering rack sensor? I tried searching but nothing good came up.

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Its just a simple potenciometer ( dont know if exact word exists, but it just gives different voltage based on needle position). You can remove it and check if its needle is moving freely. If yes, but error 20 is still present after reseting error codes, try checking if voltage is coming to the ecu. If not, well theres your problem.
In my case needle was stuck, therefore no 4ws for me, but i found this only after changing main steering sensor and alot of cursing. 8-)

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”