Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4ws warning light & MOT

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
4th Gen Doug
Supporter 2014
My Generation: 4G

4ws warning light & MOT

Post by 4th Gen Doug » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 am

Has anyone had an MOT yet this year with a 4ws light on?
I've had a rummage around the net, and the new rules on warning lights seem to be very specific...

The AA site says:
..As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;
  • Headlight main beam warning light
  • Electronic power steering warning light
  • Brake fluid level warning light
  • Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
  • Air bag warning light
  • Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light

However, Autoblog says..
On 1 January 2012, new rules were added to the current MOT by the Department for Transport (DfT) to comply with European testing procedures.

It's a pretty substantial list, but there's one which could mean big bills for thousands of drivers. If your car has any illuminated warning lamps, whether it is the airbag, seatbelt, ESP, SRS, ABS or others, it will soon fail the MOT.

It's not all bad news. If your car's MOT runs out before the 31 March 2012 and you have a warning light that needs addressing, the testers will treat it as an 'advisory', i.e. advice on what needs to be done for the next MOT.

However, if your MOT is due after 1 April 2012, you better get your skates on and get the warning light (or other faults in the list below) fixed, otherwise you'll receive the dreaded fail sheet.

DirectGov seems strangely silent on the matter..

Personally - my 4ws light is on intermittently - Cold start the car and it's fine. Start the car within 30 mins of it running previously and it's on..

I have tried to pull the code but it just sits there illuminated - no blinking. All the sensors are OK as far as I can tell.. I don't really want to buy another 4ws ECU, so was wondering if anyone has had an MOT yet with a 4ws light on, and if so - what was the result?

Cheers
Doug

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 am

Not had to try an MOT with that light man, sorry. I may have a spare 4WS ECU you'd be welcome to try though. If it solves the issue it'll just be the solder joints on your one.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Ammo
Admin | Spammer Assassin

Post by Ammo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 am

Sounds like dry joints on the relays in the 4ws ECU, pretty easy fix and free

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”