Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

ABS and 4WS light on??

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
prahunt
My Generation: 4G

ABS and 4WS light on??

Post by prahunt » Sat May 16, 2015 5:20 pm

I recently changed my brake discs and pads on the front of my Lude. I also swapped the steering wheel over to an after market one and adjusted the ride height at the back.

However I am now experiencing the ABS light coming on as well as the 4WS after a few minutes of driving. The 4WS does work so I assume this is an error or it is somehow tripping itself?
Also with the ABS I assume due to the brake swap it would just need a reset?

Then today after having the car parked up for a couple of weekends while on holiday the handbrake light now stays on. It does seem to go slightly dimmer when the handbrake is down, and there are no adverse effects when driving so the handbrake is definitely off.

Any help would be appreciated. :D
'We need some meat for the lions'

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sat May 16, 2015 5:25 pm

If your ABS has a fault, that will lock out the 4WS system after a short while of driving (the 2 systems are linked).

In both cases, the place to start is to do the paperclip test and pull the stored fault codes.

For the handbrake light, firstly check your brake fluid level (particularly since the pads and discs have been changed so fluid level will have changed as a result).

prahunt

Post by prahunt » Sat May 16, 2015 5:28 pm

I will give the fluid level a check.
I've did bleed the lines and to up, but it is very possible I did not keep it to the right level as it is difficult to make out.

My mate has a code reader, so hopefully I can use that.
Is there a link to the paperclip test if not?

GJMHONDA2012
LotM Winner

Post by GJMHONDA2012 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:45 pm

My abs light came on just before my mot as I had to replace the passenger side cv boot rubber when I fitted it all back together the abs light came on so what I did was disconnnect the negative from the battery then held my foot on the brake pedal for around 10 seconds then connected the battery up again this cleared it for all of 10 minutes lol then abs light came back on in the end I actually ended up unplugging the whole abs ecu to get it through the mot and had it disconnected for 3 days after which in turn put my 4ws light on so connected abs ecu back up and hey presto no abs or 4ws lights have come on since 5th april they both go on with ignition and go off as they should

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sat May 16, 2015 5:45 pm

You can't use a code reader on a 4g (there is no diagnostic port) and there is no need to - the paperclip test gives you that information.

The paperclip test is described in the wiki section of the forum somewhere, but it's also in the service manual.

prahunt

Post by prahunt » Sat May 16, 2015 6:03 pm

GJMHONDA2012 wrote:My abs light came on just before my mot as I had to replace the passenger side cv boot rubber when I fitted it all back together the abs light came on so what I did was disconnnect the negative from the battery then held my foot on the brake pedal for around 10 seconds then connected the battery up again this cleared it for all of 10 minutes lol then abs light came back on in the end I actually ended up unplugging the whole abs ecu to get it through the mot and had it disconnected for 3 days after which in turn put my 4ws light on so connected abs ecu back up and hey presto no abs or 4ws lights have come on since 5th april they both go on with ignition and go off as they should
Where abouts is the ABS ecu?

GJMHONDA2012
LotM Winner

Post by GJMHONDA2012 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:39 pm

prahunt wrote:
GJMHONDA2012 wrote:My abs light came on just before my mot as I had to replace the passenger side cv boot rubber when I fitted it all back together the abs light came on so what I did was disconnnect the negative from the battery then held my foot on the brake pedal for around 10 seconds then connected the battery up again this cleared it for all of 10 minutes lol then abs light came back on in the end I actually ended up unplugging the whole abs ecu to get it through the mot and had it disconnected for 3 days after which in turn put my 4ws light on so connected abs ecu back up and hey presto no abs or 4ws lights have come on since 5th april they both go on with ignition and go off as they should
Where abouts is the ABS ecu?
Behind the drivers seat on right hand side behind the plastics underneath ur seatbelt

Doggo
Court Jester
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: FfyreDog

Post by Doggo » Sat May 16, 2015 6:52 pm

I obviously know feck all about this kind of thing but.... if it isn't that....

.....haven't I read on here that an ABS fault light is sometimes triggered by a 4WS fault?*.... and if you swapped your steering wheel for an aftermarket one might that not have caused problems with the 4WS sensor/cutout/angle thingy you have with the standard steering wheel?

*linked as per Wurly's comment.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sat May 16, 2015 7:14 pm

You don't need to go accessing the ABS ECU at all.
It will almost certainly be because of the handbrake warning being on, or an ABS sensor.

Honestly, pull the codes, it takes a couple of minutes and will tell all.

mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Sat May 16, 2015 7:28 pm

check your rear light bulbs
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”