Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Handbrake only holding on one side?

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Jackson Bondy
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Jacksb4

Handbrake only holding on one side?

Post by Jackson Bondy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Hello!

So I've recently replaced both rear calipers and my handbrake had a huge amount of travel and barely held the car. I've now adjusted the cable and whilst it holds fine on the drivers side, the passenger side isn't holding at all. I can feel a slight resistance when turning the wheel but that's it.
The bracket that holds both the cables is at an angle, does that mean I need to replace the cable or just bleed the passenger Caliper again?
I need to bleed the whole system again anyway since the pedal still doesn't feel great.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Ive been working on the handbrake on my 4th gen today and found that although i freed the cable up it is stretched and needs replaced. I had one cable replaced many years ago and i guess i should have done both sides. :)
Sounds like you have same problem. The equaliser can take up some small difference in length of the cables.

Your meant to check that the hanbrake mech on the caliper is right back and in contact with the stop pin.
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Mon May 01, 2017 8:00 pm

Jackson Bondy wrote:The bracket that holds both the cables is at an angle, does that mean I need to replace the cable or just bleed the passenger Caliper again?
Which bracket are you talking about?
Pics would help.

Craig_85

Post by Craig_85 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:58 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Jackson Bondy wrote:The bracket that holds both the cables is at an angle, does that mean I need to replace the cable or just bleed the passenger Caliper again?
Pics would help.
I guess he means under the centre console where it meets the hand brake mechanism. Bleeding it will make no difference I wouldn't think.

Couple of things to consider, rightly or wrongly when I have changed rear calipers I have backed the handbrake equalising nut right off then applied the footbrake on and off a few times before tensioning the handbrake nut to be tight after around 8 clicks. Any self adjustment required has then happened first.

What I would try in your situation is to get a friend to pull the handbrake cable on the affected side from inside the car with a pair of pliers and see if it works then. If it does you know it is a stretched cable, if it doesn't then your problem is at the caliper.

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Pics would help.
its the equaliser - it pivots to allow for some minor difference in length between handbrake cables
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sun May 07, 2017 11:57 am

Ah, ok.
Well rather than being a stretched cable, check that the clevis pin on the end of the cable where it attaches to the handbrake arm on the caliper, is free to move, not stuck/corroded seized. That can have a big effect on an imbalance of force from one side to the other and can cause the equalising adjuster to be well out of balance.

Jackson Bondy

Post by Jackson Bondy » Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, I do indeed mean the bracket under the centre console, see attached picture.

Where is the handbrake equalising nut? Do you mean the adjustment nut? Can't see any references to one in the service manual.
I shall give the pliers trick a go and then investigate the caliper itself if I don't have any luck with that.

Cheers for your all the help.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sat May 13, 2017 4:30 pm

What you have in the picture there, is the handbrake equalising nut.

The problem won't be at that end, the problem is either in the cable (tbh this is usually not the cause, although normally the first thing blamed) or at the caliper end (normally the problem - due either to incorrect set up on one side from last time the pads were changed, or the reasons I have mentioned above).

Jackson Bondy

Post by Jackson Bondy » Sat May 13, 2017 5:06 pm

wurlycorner wrote:What you have in the picture there, is the handbrake equalising nut.

The problem won't be at that end, the problem is either in the cable (tbh this is usually not the cause, although normally the first thing blamed) or at the caliper end (normally the problem - due either to incorrect set up on one side from last time the pads were changed, or the reasons I have mentioned above).
Ah I see, my bad :lol:

Interesting, so is there a method for setting it up after a pads change?
In the manual it just says make sure the mechanism on the caliper works properly, loosen the adjusting nut, pump pedal, then do the adjustment which I did. It's fine on the drivers side and after checking the cable it seems to move freely.

Time to take the wheel off and have a nosey around.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

Jackson Bondy

Post by Jackson Bondy » Sun May 14, 2017 5:17 pm

So had a chance to get the car off the ground and have a proper look today.
With the handbrake off there was still resistance to turning on both the back discs. I've now tried loosening the adjusting nut as far off as it'll go and with the handbrake off there is still resistsance on both sides which to me suggests either the handbrake is getting stuck partially on or the brakes are set up incorrectly. Considering they've just been refurbished these are turning into another nightmare!
Then, still with the nut loose, if you apply the handbrake it applies on the drivers side and holds the disc (weird considering how loose it is set, surely it shouldn't hold at all?) but not on the passenger side. What I did notice is the equalising bracket pulls the cable tight on the drivers side and then has a huge amount of play on the passenger side. If you compare the attached photo to the one I posted before you can see the difference in the brackets angle between the handbrake being off and being on.

Any ideas? I've never done handbrake stuff before so this is all new to me. The mechanism on the caliper seems to work fine, whether it's in the right place or not I'm not sure.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”