Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

3rd Gen - ABS Sensor + Ring / CV Joint

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
dwallis92
My Generation: 3G

Post by dwallis92 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:01 pm

I've been living with this since I brought the car, it's the whole reason I got it so cheap because old owner thought ABS pump had failed (turns out somethings chewed up ABS Ring + sensor). First thing I did was new discs and pads all round because the ones on the car were appalling! This is when I noticed the chewed up reluctor ring and the sensor which is... missing the sensor lol.

I purchased a new sensor from BluePrint (who assured me that it was 100% the right sensor for the car) and multiple sets of rings from various sources (none of which had the correct shaped teeth). Turns out the sensor fits, but doesn't have the right connector. BluePrint have said that it will void the warranty of the sensor, but replacing the connector with a 2-pin weatherproof molex should work.

That doesn't solve the problem of the ring though, and I don't want to replace the sensor just yet as I'm still unsure as to what's caused them to get so chewed up. My Dad seems to think a stone must have chipped up and lodged itself in there, but that doesn't make sense to me as theres only a small gap for a stone to fit into and the damage to ring and sensor is quite substantial. I think probably outer CV joint, and for the sake of about £25 a wheel I'm probably going to just replace them anyway as it saves me time and makes the job easier, old joint off new one on instead of old one off, remove ring and freeze, bake new ring, etc. Only thing is it's never made any clicking or grinding sounds, and doesn't feel down on power or weird while cornering.

What I'm wondering is if anything else could have caused the issue, something i'm not thinking of or seeing. I'm sure you can all appreciate I don't want to be fixing things twice or wasting money on repeatedly buying the same parts. And on top of this I want the ABS system to actually work! Currently if I have to brake harder than normal my front wheels lock up and slide (not helped by the high quality discs and pads fitted lol).

Thanks again in advance for any help or advice you can offer, it's always greatly appreciated :)

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:27 am

Is the old reluctor ring otherwise intact? Hasn't fractured so that part of it opens up at speed and catches on the sensor, has it?
They can suffer from corrosion between the back of the ring and the outside of the joint casing, causing just that (reluxtor ring to fracture)
Or bent mounting bracket for the sensor???
Or someone has previously replaced the sensor with the wrong one (one that stick out too far)???

dwallis92

Post by dwallis92 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:04 am

wurlycorner wrote:Is the old reluctor ring otherwise intact? Hasn't fractured so that part of it opens up at speed and catches on the sensor, has it?
They can suffer from corrosion between the back of the ring and the outside of the joint casing, causing just that (reluxtor ring to fracture)
Or bent mounting bracket for the sensor???
Or someone has previously replaced the sensor with the wrong one (one that stick out too far)???
The ring doesn't look fractured at all but is pretty mangled. I did think bent bracket but I compared it with the other side and it seems fine. Same with the sensor, just has been made flat instead of having the sensor tip sticking out by whatever has gone wrong.

I think I might just change CV joint to be sure and if it happens again at least it will be easier to change the ring on a newer CV. Might be worth me inspecting bushes on everything while i'm under there.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Some pics would probably be helpful tbh.

Any chance of taking and posting some?

dwallis92

Post by dwallis92 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:15 pm

wurlycorner wrote:Some pics would probably be helpful tbh.

Any chance of taking and posting some?
Shall try to get some pics soon. I'm not allowed to do 'car maintenance' in the car park where I live or I get told off which makes it difficult but I will try be sneaky tomorrow as it's sunday and landlord shouldn't be about ;)

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:46 am

Ah yeah that sort of restriction on parking place absolutely sucks :evil:

EddieMunster
My Generation: 5G

Post by EddieMunster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:41 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:46 am
Ah yeah that sort of restriction on parking place absolutely sucks :evil:
Are reluctor rings available, I can find them for the front on my 4g but not the rear?
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”