Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Caliper guide pins - which way

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Caliper guide pins - which way

Post by Scott560 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:55 pm

So after my rear caliper piston/mech got seized, I got some remanufactured rear calipers , new discs and pads. These now match the old front ATR setup I rebuilt for the old car which aren't yet fitted.

Getting the front ATR set up all cleaned up, the question is, of the 2 guide pins, 1 has a rubber anti vibration rubber bushings on the end. I cannot find any information about its location (top or bottom).

Lings parts shows 2 different part numbers for the pins, but the picture shows them identically.

I had a fair search on many sites but very little information to be found on this subject (similarly, the rear pins were made of different metal or different coating at least)

Anyone got a definitive answer?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

firstlude
My Generation: 4G

Post by firstlude » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:05 pm

i have always put the rubber sleeve one in the bottom of the caliper :)
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Does the service manual state either way?

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Ive just taken the Calipers off the ATR ill need to have a look but if I remember I will post some pictures for you?

Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Post by Scott560 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 am

well im more confused than ever now.

looking at every picture of an accord type R i can find, the calipers are mounted at the front of the car (leading) the exact same setup as the prelude.

Therefor, there is no need to reverse the left and right one as previously thought (which made bleeding a pain in the arse).

Also, looking at the normal accord service guide, the extremely unhelpful pictures eventually show the pin with the bushing at the top of the caliper. EG, the first edge to receive a rotating disc (whilst car is going forward)

The rear brake image also shows the calipers in a trailing position, with the lower pin having the bushing (the first edge to receive the disc as it rotates, since its behind the axle center).

not that there was anything wrong previously when the accord type r calipers were fitted, but measuring my new pads, there is some uneven wear across each pad, presumeably where i had the larger piston in the wrong position (relative to the small piston).

im going to fit them now, with the pin with the rubber bushing at the top, and with the calipers installed as indicated on the casting left/right sided, bleed nipples at the top as intended/makes sense.

get there in the end...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”