Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Fitting new Tein Flex Z

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Post by Scott560 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Vtecmec wrote:I've realised its not the bump stops that cause the front end crash, but the upper arms where the ball joint sits actually hitting the chassis inner wing area. Can't be good for them.
oh, ill check for witness marks - i didn't notice any when recently doing all the brake work and i was down there a fair while...

so much work to do , so little time!

motegi kit needs repair and spraying, motegi wheels also (and buy new tyres).

Then i've got the ATR box/diff to go on/in, then i need a new exhaust (flexi stretched after speedbump incident).

Not to mention slightly leaking front and rear crank seals :(
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Vtecmec wrote:I've realised its not the bump stops that cause the front end crash, but the upper arms where the ball joint sits actually hitting the chassis inner wing area. Can't be good for them.
I had that happen once when a front spring broke (didn't realise at the time, but did later)

Scott560

Re: Fitting new Tein Flex Z

Post by Scott560 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:41 pm

Rears fitted today along with new upper wishbone strongflex sport bushes.

Bit slow going but all done in the end. Set the teins to the manuals non-us settings.

Seem ok so far , fronts to do tomorrow then should really feel the difference.

Will do upper wishbones on the front and the radius rod bushes also.

Monday off also so if time permits will also do valve lash adjustment along with painting the rocket cover and a quick oil change.

Should be fun on Tuesday at thruxton , will get some footage up this time.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Front teins all done. Front radius bushes also done.

Couldn't do the front upper wishbone bushes as they are not the same on the rear (where as on a 4th gen they are).

Oil change and filter done over to some motul stuff.

Valve clearances also re set. Valve cover also painted. Just waiting for it to dry before refitting and cutting off the letter parts.

Ride height is so much higher now. Can get my jack out just about now Can see the old spring are yellow apex ones.

Hopefully get the valve cover on tomorrow and go for a drive and see what the car feels like, hopefully not crashy... Also didn't see any witness marks of the upper wishbone on the inner wing, so must have been bump stops I was hitting.

'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm

End of a long day!

Must have ballsed up the valve lash adjustment some how - ticky isnt the word! Still, all the performance was there so will do that another weekend. Guessing that you will always need to 'feel' more drag when measuring between lobe and follower rather than traditional valve stem area. I think my clearances are too high.

Teins feel good, ability to adjust them is a god send - what is fine for the road is not so good for the track! Took too much air out of my tyres and had the damping set too low on my first outing. warm pressure was back to 35psi by the time i finished and that felt good for the the federal tyres.

Federal RSR 595s did a great job - no way would i want to do a track day at Thruxton without some track orientated tyre. They didn't seem to drop off too much at all after 5 or 6 laps.. For those that haven't been, most of the circuit is a 90 to 100mph right hand bend - crazy stuff.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Reviewed my footage, managed to put in some consistent lap times around the 1min 44 mark when there was not too much traffic or various unmentionables on the track.

6 sessions total probably 50 laps.

Could feel the car backing off the power a little in 4th gear top end, down the back straight, suspect the intake was a little warm as it was a hot day and some of my sessions were up to 10 laps.

'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”