Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4g front/rear brakes

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
EddieMunster
My Generation: 5G

4g front/rear brakes

Post by EddieMunster » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:51 am

Hi

Before I crack open the spanners, does the 4g need a rewind tool for the front/rear callipers?

Regards
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Max

Re: 4g front/rear brakes

Post by Max » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:21 pm

The 5G needs a rewind tool for the rear so i suspect so yes.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:32 pm

Front doesn't at all - you can just push them straight in.

Rears need to be re-wound, yes. I have done them with and without rewind tools. Rewind tools are a great idea and that but... Although they avoid the 'no grip' problem when trying to wind back, I find the thread pitch never matches and when the piston winds back faster than the rewind tool winds out, it's a right pain in the arse. The lude calipers have a fairly big cross shaped cut out rather than small indentations, so the right size screw driver head in from the side, works just as well tbh.

Max

Post by Max » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 pm

Agree they are a pain in the butt, I've never used a rewind tool except once when my mate insisted on bringing his fancy kit over :crazy:, by the time i was done faffing about with which rewind bits are the correct ones and setting it up etc... i may as well have just used my nose pliers to twist the piston like i normally do and be done with it in a couple of minutes!

The only time a rewind kit is worth using is when the rear caliper pistons are seized up. As for the fronts if you cant push them in easily by hand (with the reservoir cap off) they're probably not working as well as they could be, and probably worth a rebuild imo.

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:01 pm

Rewind kits are a must when the calliper needs pushing down as well as turning, my old x-type Jag needed one to just swap the pads. Fortunately the lude pulls itself in as you turn it so the tool just makes a faf of the operation as you say.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”