Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

ABS Error Code 4

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
EddieMunster
My Generation: 5G

ABS Error Code 4

Post by EddieMunster » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi

I'm still trying to sort out my 4ws/ABS error; I purchased a "working" rear driver's side ABS sensor, which I've duly fitted, but according to the 4ws/ABS modules it is also faulty. I didn't think to ask the seller if it worked as it came off a breaking car that probably wasn't even running.

However, the issue is that whilst I still have the 3-6 error in the 4ws module, which still points to the rear driver's side sensor, my ABS issue is now 4!! 4 quick flashes, nothing else, but I can't diagnose that fault as I can't find a code 4 for ABS anywhere. Any ideas?

Regarding the ABS sensor, looks like I'm going to have to buy a new one from the US to be 100%, or take one off my 5g (which I know works) for testing.

Regards
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

EddieMunster

ABS Error Code 4

Post by EddieMunster » Tue May 14, 2019 3:57 pm

EddieMunster wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:08 pm
Hi

I'm still trying to sort out my 4ws/ABS error; I purchased a "working" rear driver's side ABS sensor, which I've duly fitted, but according to the 4ws/ABS modules it is also faulty. I didn't think to ask the seller if it worked as it came off a breaking car that probably wasn't even running.

However, the issue is that whilst I still have the 3-6 error in the 4ws module, which still points to the rear driver's side sensor, my ABS issue is now 4!! 4 quick flashes, nothing else, but I can't diagnose that fault as I can't find a code 4 for ABS anywhere. Any ideas?

Regarding the ABS sensor, looks like I'm going to have to buy a new one from the US to be 100%, or take one off my 5g (which I know works) for testing.

Regards
A quick update, to help anyone else in this situation as I've finally fixed the problem.

It transpires that the faulty rear driver's side sensor wasn't actually faulty, it gave the correct resistance on the bench and so I was back to square one. I stripped down the rear passenger side to compare the faulty side, at which point I discover that the driver's side hub and castellation ring aren't the same as the passenger side; I work out that the castellation ring on the driver's side hub has been shrunk on, and so the gap between ring and sensor is too large to give a reading.

I drilled out the mounting point of the sensor, took 4mm off the face, then used spacers to perfectly set the correct gap between sensor and ring; no more ABS fault, no more 4WS or ABS problems.
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Scott560

ABS Error Code 4

Post by Scott560 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Good find!

Not sure how it could be 'shrunk' on to the extent of 4mm? Suspect its not the right part to begin with.

Worth checking that exactly the correct number of teeth are on both sensors - had this once (on a different car, on the front hubs) and it would sporadically cause very dangerous braking/ABS modulation.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

EddieMunster

ABS Error Code 4

Post by EddieMunster » Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Scott560 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:52 pm
Suspect its not the right part to begin with.
The driver's side rear hub is a non-standard part, or rather aftermarket, which is where the root of my issues have come from; I suspect a tolerance difference of less than 1-2% is enough to completely bugger everything up with the ABS ring/sensor. :D
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”