Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Welding

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
yorke58
My Generation: 5G

Welding

Post by yorke58 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:27 am

Hi all

I've got and arch and a sill to repair on my 5th gen.
I've got about quarter of a tank of fuel. I know the tanks got a plastic cover. Will I need to empty the tank? If so has any got a cheat way of dropping the fuel without dropping the tank?

Cheers

Scott560

Welding

Post by Scott560 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:33 am

I had to drain a brimmed tank on the last lude - i cheated by:

1) disconnect the FPR 'spill' pipe going from the fuel pressure regulator back to the tank.
2) connect a pipe here to a suitable storage container (used a few meters of silicon hose so i can leave the can on the floor)
3) pull up the rear boot carpet, get to fuel pump wiring, attach small battery...

My car was halfway to being stripped, but you could probably short the relay under the bonnet to avoid messing in the boot to run the fuel pump.

It would be quicker also if you cracked the feed into the rail - but its then not easy to direct into a container so not as safe.

was taking about 4 minutes to fill a 5litre petrol can with my method - a full tank 10 or 12 trips that took!

note to self - do not fill up petrol tank after track days
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

yorke58

Welding

Post by yorke58 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:51 am

Brilliant! I didn't really wana drop the tank. Everything looks in good nick under car. Yeah I can put 12v on pump and drain away. I've got loads of fuel pipe kicking about.

Cheers.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”