Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen rear upper ball joints

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Max
My Generation: 5G

Post by Max » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 am

Hi All,

I've searched around but there isnt a guide on this process that i can see specific to the 5th gen, i just want to get a proper understanding of how to replace them without having to replace the complete arms.

There are plenty of options available on ebay etc but how do you go about fitting them, is it just a simple case of pressing out and back in? If so is it possible to hammer these out and back in without having to use a press? On the lower ball joints i just hammered them out, froze the ball joints in the freezer overnight and then heated up the knuckle and hammered the new ones in, would the same process work on these?

Most of the ball joints seem to come with circlips, looking at the underneath of the control arms there is a little lip surrounding the ball joints, does the circlip just snap in above that? I've also read its worth putting a couple of tack welds on them, i assume this is because the majority of ball joints available are multiple fitment and the circlips are just part of the package but not actually used in this application? Or maybe its both?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Cheers
Max

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Wowzers, can't believe no-one has replied to this one yet.

The original ball joints are just pressed in, replacements come with a circlip to provide extra security.

The circlip will sit in between the arm and a lip or groove on the replacement ball joint, below (or above!) where the boot is.

I think some people have hammered replacements in/out, but a press or a ball joint/bearing removal set will be significantly better, otherwise you risk damaging the new ball joint.

Max

Post by Max » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Well, not gonna lie i had a crack at this with a hammer... no dice. Popped round to the neighbours and with some bits and pieces and a bloody big vice as a press we got the old joints out and the new ones in 8)

Max

Post by Max » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Just a note on this as i just installed them yesterday, if you are thinking of changing these ball joints you have to ensure correct orientation when pressing them back into the arm, when you take the boot off you'll see there is only one axis the ball joint is designed to move in and if its not pointing the right way the ball joint will 'neck out' as there is only so much side to side movement. I noticed this when installing the upper arms and the ball joint wouldn't slot back into the upright, then it clicked and i realised the ball joint wasn't installed in the right direction, they were easy to tap back out with a socket and hammer at this point so i got them back out and turned them the right way. Solved the knocking i was getting from the rear though, bliss... :-D

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”