Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Steering / Suspension Ball Joint Covers

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
PreludePete
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Post by PreludePete » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:53 am

Hi guys,
Have an mot advisory that all steering and suspension ball joint covers are perished or split on my 99 5th Gen manual.
Any ideas of availability of parts and cost of fixing?

Thanks
Pete

EddieMunster

Post by EddieMunster » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:46 pm

PreludePete wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:53 am
Hi guys,
Have an mot advisory that all steering and suspension ball joint covers are perished or split on my 99 5th Gen manual.
Any ideas of availability of parts and cost of fixing?

Thanks
Pete
They're all readily available, try eBay, Mister Auto or Auto Doc, but be warned it's better to have the rubbers in hand before you order so that you can see what they're telling you is the correct part is actually correct. Regarding the ball joint cover, you may well have to remove the wishbone and joint itself as I've had a few where the cover has been an integral part of the joint and as such it's joined to the base rather than held in place with a circlip.

Cost-wise, peanuts really, it'll be the labour of getting them off and back on that'll tickle your wallet. If you can afford it, it's better to check ALL of the bushes/joints in your suspension and replace everything that's worn or on its way out. Changing a ball joint on a wishbone is a fair amount of labour, changing the bushes/tie-bars connected to it would be no extra labour as you'd already been taking them off. I've done the same job, front and rear on my 4g, and in parts it was around £120-150 and about 16-18 hours labour.
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm

you can change the boot on the wishbone as the cover is just push on/pull off - well it is on the 4th gen ones i have here;)
steering rack ball joints are on the track rod ends and prob best to replace them - cost for aftermarket ones is about £25 a side.
or would just be a few quid for new covers on the old track rod ends.

2 suspension ball joints either side - one at the bottom of the knuckle/hub and one on the upper wishbone.
Upper wishbones cost for aftermarket is about £50 a side for the whole front wishbone (bit more for the rears) or again it would just be a few quid for the boot.
Bottom ball joint boot will be the most time/trouble to fix but again only a few quid for the cover.

I would expect most garages these days to carry a selection of different sizes so sure they would have one that fits.
Either that or try ebay.
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

PreludePete
Supporter 2016

Post by PreludePete » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks Eddie and Vanzep for such comprehensive replies. Appreciate the time and interest taken.
Pete

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Yep, can change just the covers if that's all that's gone. That's quite an easy job, provided you can split the ball joint in the first place.
They're available from Honda.

If you want to change the ball joints fully, langdon4x4 on ebay, is your man!

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”