Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Stuck rear caliper clevis pin

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
MikeK
My Generation: 5G

Post by MikeK » Fri May 10, 2019 7:07 pm

I am replacing the rear calipers and have a real problem removing the clevis pin. There is rotation of the handbrake yoke, but I can't see a way of driving the pin out from below.

It's well soaked in penetrating oil for a couple of days but the pin itself will not rotate. Mind you there is not much to grip onto.

Anyone have any fail safe methods for removing this little blighter? I don't really want to cut the handbrake cables.

Is there a way of using leverage to push the pin up and out ? There is such a small gap between the bottom of the pin and the caliper casting.

All suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Jackson Bondy
XBOX GamerTag: Jacksb4

Post by Jackson Bondy » Fri May 10, 2019 8:05 pm

The way I have always done it is to take the slimmest flat head screwdriver I can and gently hammer it into head side of the pin. Use that as a lever and that will drive it out enough to get a pair of pliers or mole grips onto it. Then it's just a case of twist whilst pulling and it should come out.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Once you've removed the r clip, some light hammering first (don't want to damage the arm), get the mole grips and try and brake the rust bond. perhaps a small amount of filing on the head will give the molegrips something to grip onto. There is no way you can pull it out, you've got to twist it free.

If all else fails, center punch and start to drill it out. Eventually it will fold in on itself and should come out.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Sat May 11, 2019 8:52 am

Just done these on the BB3 and only could get them out was to slice the head off the pin with a dremel and use a punch to knock the rest of the pin out - i took the caliper off the hub so i could lie it on the ground - replaced the pin with a small nut and bolt ;)
what a pain :x
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:17 am

Best thing i ever bought was a massive tub of copper grease, drilled a hole in the top and shoved a paint brush in it. Always on hand in the garage now to ensure no problems later on. Not going to help you now mind...

Recently changed the front discs on my mums mitsubishi colt - no anti seize applied from factory, both discs were rust welded to the hubs. 3 legged puller wouldn't do anything, had to load it up with the puller, then heat up the discs bell with a plumbing torch and give it some percussion until it pinged off with quite a release...

Stitch in time saves 9 and all that.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun May 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions. They had occurred to me....some seemed to be a 'one chance only' option. Great to hear that they have worked for you. I'll give them a go and report back.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm

SUCCESS

Bought a large wrecking bar (which I needed anyway) with a nice curve to the flat end. Used it like Jackson Bondy's screwdriver suggestion, and with the extra length of the bar the little pin pushed up enough for me to grab it with pliers and twist it out.

Plenty of grease on the replacement !

Thanks again all, that's what makes this forum so great.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”