Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Which spray/grease for lubing suspension parts

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Anzezaf
My Generation: 5G

Post by Anzezaf » Mon May 13, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm planning on going with my lude to a lift this friday, so I was thinking I should buy a can or two of some spray grease or similar lubricant and go to town on all bushes, rubbers joints etc. on the underside of the car. Im getting some creaks in the rear and I might as well try this, on top of doing this for maintenance / longevity of the rubber parts.
My main fear is that (given my luck) I will pick a lubricant that will eat away the rubbers and ruin my suspension parts :D

So is this a good idea, and what kind of chemical do I use?

White lithium grease, silicone grease, boogers&spit, wd40, penetrating oil, oil with graphite in it?

Mark
My Generation: 5G

Post by Mark » Mon May 13, 2019 10:43 pm

If somethings creaking at the rear then greasing or lubricating bushes/bolts pretty much wont do anything. Chances are it could be a worn bush thats torn and needs replaced.
If you do alot of work on your car yourself then hitting all the nuts and bolts with penetrating oil is never a bad idea, but failing that its pretty much a waste of your money/time

Any car i put back together i lightly copper grease the bolts so they dont fight in future if they need to come back off. Apart from that theres not much else you can do.
Greasing the handbrake mechanism and handbrake cables is a good shout as itl stop them from seizing up, just use a generic spray grease. Try avoid copper grease around rubber though as it can cause it to perish :thumbup:

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”