Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4WS light keeps coming on (already tried resetting it)

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
chris_rd92
My Generation: 5G

Post by chris_rd92 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:52 pm

Free Ranj Egg wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:24 pm
@chris_rd92 - just about to head into a meeting and have had a quick look for you. Not sure if these are helpful or not as I haven't had a chance to look. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... XUu1wRsuMC

http://www.racinghonda.com/tsb/4wssensoradjust.pdf

and finally

https://www.preludepower.com/forums/sho ... p?t=327743

Hope one of these helps

Ranj
Thanks mate. Id seen those two forum links, but not the pdf manual. I'm still trying to get my brain around what it's saying lol.

chris_rd92

Post by chris_rd92 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:54 pm

sol-lude wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 pm
easy enough to do if you can find one spare in order to replace - Ranj has added the manual on how to do it. Keep us posted.
Trying to figure out if it needs replacing or just adjusting. The manual looks very helpful, but I'm a bit simple when it comes to stuff like this so I'm still trying to decipher it lol. Yeah will this thread updated.

chris_rd92

Post by chris_rd92 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:40 pm

So since I don't even know what this sodding sensor even looks like, I decided to just find out... Took the steering wheel off (easy enough) and this is what I found... I still have no idea what I'm looking at... These photos are exactly as I found it without touching or adjusting anything. Does anything look wrong or out of line here? Have I even found the sensor yet or do I need to take more stuff off? I can't spot anything wrong so I'll probably just put it all back on. I've seen the mention of a particular 'yellow mark' on the sensor on other forums, but I can't see anything. Hope someone can shed some light on this!

chris_rd92

Post by chris_rd92 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Right, new update. Just to recap, I still did not know what I'm looking at behind the steering wheel, so I put it all back on again. I then remembered that on the occasions the the light first came on and stayed on, I had stalled it around that time. I thought they might be linked, so I did the paperclip reset and sure enough, the light went off. I even backed it off the drive and went for a burn round town to see if it came back on, but nope, it stayed off. Excellent, job done! Also nope... Got it the car this morning to go to the gym and the light came on as I backed out the drive... FFS

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 pm

I used to have this on my older 5th gen, but not the newer one.

I dont think it ever happened during normal driving. It always happened when I was stalling it whilst turning (car parking for example).

I think the cause was the voltage would drop when you stalled it or when revs were low. Might be worth checking the voltage isn't too low, and check the battery can give out a decent current (you can only do this with a load tester mind). I'd check the fuse/fuseable link for the main feed to the rear rack, just check you have decent connectivity. Ive not inspected the point at which it mounts to the rack - but it might be worth checking its clean and tight (to aid decent current and no voltage drops).

Other than that, who knows. If the rack starts to get a bit stiff , i guess it'll happen more often at lower speeds (Rack hard to turn). check rear tyres are up to pressure (2.2bar) , see if you can get some grease up in the mech, and check the rear track rod ends aren't seized up...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

sol-lude
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:04 am

https://images.app.goo.gl/pvraVCYRBNtJ4ZEA6

hope this link works / helps

chris_rd92

Post by chris_rd92 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:11 pm

sol-lude wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:04 am
https://images.app.goo.gl/pvraVCYRBNtJ4ZEA6

hope this link works / helps
ahhh so it's behind the stalks? I'll have another look later today then and see what I find. Still not sure what I'm supposed to do once I find the sensor but first things first is to actually find it lol.

Excellent link by the way, thanks for that. It also lead to lots of other diagrams for other parts of the system which I have also saved for later. :thumbup:

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:55 pm

Check out this thread, I had a similar problem. You will learn everything here.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21649

Code 20 indicates that either the front sub sensor (on the steering rack), the main sensor (behind the stalks) or the 4ws unit are acting up. In my case it was a combination of front main sensor and 4ws computer. Swapped both and I have been cruising happily for about a year now with not even one error popping up

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:15 pm

yeah code 20 does not necessarily mean its the main sensor. In my case it was the sub sensor in the rack. I know a couple more instances when there was the sub sensor causing issues rather than main one

chris_rd92

Post by chris_rd92 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:14 am

Hmm ok. I think the first thing I'm going to do is get an alignment done, then I can go about trying to do the neutral reset for the 4WS, which I have absolutely no clue how to do... If that doesn't sort it then I'll start replacing sensors lol.

Has anyone done the 4ws neutral reset procedure? I've seen it mentioned a few times but can't actually find much info on the process.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”