Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

work done = happy chap

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Scott560
My Generation: 5G

work done = happy chap

Post by Scott560 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:10 pm

So I don't tend to do much to my cars other than look after them, replace bits that break/leak, and any simple bolt on bits to make life better for the odd track day. I had planned on doing as much of the belwo work as possible, but work and family commitments (plus the lack of an enlarged driveway) meant it was unlikely to happen any time soon.

Since the last lude went to the scrap yard, and the new one has lasted a few track days, and isn't an old dog - I decided it was worth spending a little money as everytime i drove the car, there were more and more small problems which i knew i would never get the time to do. Parts had been accumulating in the garage and only some fitted, so got Rich at PAW to work his magic.

before PAW (but in the recent past):
Fitted Tein adjustable coilovers (new)
Fitted some semi track tyres (federal 595)
Fitted my ATR front brake setup from old lude (upgraded rears to drilled/grooved + ds2500 also to match fronts)
fitted 2 sets of bushes from strongflex yellow range (hardest)
picked up unknown ATR gearbox

Car didnt feel that much better after the teins, but got me some ride height back which was the main thing. PReviously on apex lowering springs, the ride was terrible and car was easily damaged due to ground clearance issues.

After PAW:
All bushes fitted
ATR Diff into my now partially rebuilt box
New ATR clutch kit
Exhaust flexi mended
Full 4 wheel alignment
new front lower ball joints
new rear crank seal
re sealed my sump since the downpipe was coming off

The difference so far is night and day. I was expecting a harsher ride after fitting the bushes, but the opposite seems true. I guess the old bushes were softer than the stiffer suspension, leading to a fairly crashy ride. Now it seems matched/balanced, still a little firm, but liveable with since i only use at weekends.

The 4 wheel alignment must have been badly needed, as the car now drives straight and doesn't seem to follow oddities in the road. Looking forward to a dry day tomorrow.

An expensive outing , but the car is much better for it, and my enjoyment of it can only improve from here (still a few things need doing, but not much!).

Also saw some ropey type S parked out the front of PAW :wave:
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

toadster
My Generation: 5G

work done = happy chap

Post by toadster » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Lo :D
Happy days 8)
Cheers ;)
Toadster

RattyMcClelland