Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Best 205/50/R16 tyres

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
EddieMunster
My Generation: 5G

Best 205/50/R16 tyres

Post by EddieMunster » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:27 am

Anzezaf wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:15 pm
So I'm thinking of buying some nice tires for my 5th gen, in stock size.
Boring story short, I used to test tyres; one thing that hasn't really changed is that cheap brands are still just that, cheap. I wouldn't fit half of the brands mentioned to my car, I'd rather drive home on the rim!! :D

Tyre shops are on spivs, i.e. the more they sell of a given brand the less they ultimately pay for that tyre so it's in their interest to tell you that a cheap tyre is "almost as good" as a branded tyre; they're not, from the tread design, rubber compound, belting quality, all the way down to carcass rigidity and everything else in between. There's a reason these tyres are cheap and in the trade they're called ditch-finders. On a side note, it's amusing when people in the UK say that the tyre isn't great in the wet, when in reality that's where it'll spend most of its time; tyre testing was about 80% wet time, 20% dry as it's quite easy to make a cheap tyre handle reasonably well in the dry. However, it's impossible to make a ditch finder handle in the wet as the money saved on the tyre is almost always taken from this part of the design work.

Don't take advice like this from a forum, or a review site, use reviews from people who know what they're testing for, i.e. Auto Express, as those are generally accepted within the industry. So, ignore me, but I use Continental 6s on my BMW and TT, but because of the odd size on my 4g (and the desire to keep it standard sizing like you) I've used NOS Continental 2s. I have tried the Rainsports on my Accord Type R, very good in the wet, not bad in the dry, so depending on where you are and what the weather's like, I'd have a think about these.

Oh, and semi-slick in the wet doesn't necessarily mean poor handling, I had the Toyos on quite a few test cars that did the 'ring and whilst there's less grip, grip loss is far more progressive and therefore easier to control. A good wet tyre and a great wet tyre isn't about the ultimate grip level, it's about what happens to the feedback when grip is gradually lost.
5g 2.2 Motegi in Blue.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Best 205/50/R16 tyres

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:22 am

EddieMunster wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:27 am
So, ignore me
^^^ Don't ignore him ;)

toadster

Best 205/50/R16 tyres

Post by toadster » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:22 am

Lo :D
I have had Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2s on My Lude for a while now and they are fantastic :mrgreen:
I replaced a pair with Assymetric 3s last year and I can't fault them either.
Cheers all ;)
Toadster

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Best 205/50/R16 tyres

Post by ATR84 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:51 am

I have yokohama ad08r's on mine, I don't use the lude in the wet so can't comment on wet grip, but dry grip is superb.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”