Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Rear Brake Pad Laterality

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
CARRisma
My Generation: 5G

Post by CARRisma » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:13 am

My 5th gen has suffered a rear brake pad failure - post coming soon. In my box of spares, I have two sets of OEM rear near-side brake pads.

My question is - is it possible to fit these two sets of near-side to both sides? Is it physically possible? I can see that the inside pad has the low level brake pad indicator screwed on. I think that's the only issue which can be overcome by simply unscrewing it.
2000 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi (H22A8 / BB8).

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 am

I'm pretty sure that the pads are symmetrical barring the indicator tabs, so I'd say yes.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 am

They are the same, with the exception of the wear indicators. I seem to recall (having done mine yesterday in the rain/hail/thunder) that there is a slight notch on the carrier to accommodate it, but they fit both ways, and are not marked for one side or another.

I found I had to file (not even 1mm total) my rear carriers to get the right fit - accumulated crud/paint on the carrier prevented the new ones going in easily even though they got the brake clean and wire brush treament and cleaned the retainers (old pads came out fine, musta filed them last time).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

CARRisma

Post by CARRisma » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:34 am

Right, having tomorrow off work as annual leave to make the most of the forecasted dry weather before the rain arrives this weekend. Gonna fit my spare brake pads and lube the sliding pins while I'm at it. Fun, fun, fun.

CARRisma

Post by CARRisma » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:34 pm

Job done. I can confirm that I was able to fit my two pairs of near-side rear brake pads to both sides. And I didn't need to remove that low level brake pad indicator tab thingy, the pads just went straight in and the caliper had no problem being refitted.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”