Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Power steering o'rings

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Max
My Generation: 5G

Power steering o'rings

Post by Max » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:27 am

Hi All,

I'm looking for a power steering hose o'ring for my type s so i have looked up the part number on jp-carparts, the part im after is number 20 on the below linked diagram.

https://jp-carparts.com/honda/partlist. ... &fig1=3360

After searching this part number i have 2 questions:

1. Spec of the part doesn't match the results, the diagram says its 14.4x1.9 but the results im getting are that its 14.8x1.9? eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-STEERI ... SwIuldaWst

2. Most of the results im getting seem to provide 2 o'rings, the second one is apparently for the lower outlet which i wasn't aware of, is this correct or is that for a different car?

It looks like the inlet hose is leaking from between the flange on the hose and the pump and i just want to fix that, any help appreciated.

Cheers
Max

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Power steering o'rings

Post by ek9sid » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:31 am

Looking at Lings, it appears as though there's only one o ring. The second is probably for another model as, I'm presuming, there'll be a wide range of models using the same o rings.

The 14.4/14.8 x 1.9 thing...1.9mm will be the thickness of the material while the 14.4/14.8mm will be the overall diameter. 0.4mm *shouldn't* make a huge difference. Probably something to do with tolerances while manufacturing. If you are concerned by the extra 0.4mm then I would just go direct to Honda. Lings have them listed at £4.28, and looks as though they're in stock.

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/partsca ... f/B__3361/

Scott560

Power steering o'rings

Post by Scott560 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:06 am

I would suspect both options fit fine, as the OEM part number is listed as the replacement.

If in doubt , since the parts are so cheap, buy both options, compare and confirm and resolve the query for all by posting back on the thread. Then when someone is desperate for one, at least you might have a spare to send out to people in an emergency. Also, having a spare option reduces downtime, say you snag it on fitting or its damaged in transit (They love to staple little baggies to the invoice, sometimes right through your seal or gasket lol).

I'd say the lings / honda one is the safest option naturally.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Max

Power steering o'rings

Post by Max » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:02 am

Ahhh magic! Thanks guys i always seem to forget about Lings somehow, i have ordered the part now, the car is SORN atm so no worries about downtime :)

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Power steering o'rings

Post by Vtecmec » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:46 am

A box of assorted metric o rings, about a fiver on ebay gets you every o ring you'll ever need for your car.

Max

Power steering o'rings

Post by Max » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:56 am

Yeah probably could have done that, £5 is silly money for an o'ring really :lol:

Scott560

Power steering o'rings

Post by Scott560 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:21 pm

For anything proper, I would always use the right o-ring rather than generic one.

I have a red box of generic o rings in all the sizes, but id only use it for air seals or weather seals (Say, a map sensor to manifold, sidelight bulb holder to light housing or some other non critical fit). Id never use them for oil seals, or high pressure lines etc.

Reason being that the materials used in application specific o rings will be different. Father in law is a rubber expert - you would be surprised just how many different types of rubber, and ways to process rubber, there are (He has designed rubbers and processes for specific applications like car windscreen seals, aerosol sprays, gas tanks etc etc. Each one is very different).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”