Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Supports for trunk floor

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Brozilla
My Generation: 5G

Supports for trunk floor

Post by Brozilla » Mon May 17, 2021 9:55 am

Could somebody share an advice how to fill out the well where spare tyre usually rests?
I replaced the spare with foam kit just to keep it legal, I don't intend to use it, but now the wooden frame beneath the trunk carpet bends under the cargo weight because there is nothing underneath to support it.

I thought of using the the foam molding which can be seen in some tool cases like this
and then cut out holes for first aid kit etc.
Drawbacks are: expensive as hell and it would plug the drain in the bottom of the well

I could 3D print some supports but I don't have the willpower to model it right now.
Did anyone do something simillar or has a simple and lightweight suggestion?

Scott560

Supports for trunk floor

Post by Scott560 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:38 pm

I don't think foam like that will be strong enough to stop the sag - it would need to be a pretty solid support.

Newer cars have the preformed polystyrene inserts. I think you could make one but it might be a fair bit of effort. I know that there is a packaging product that comes in a bag. When activated the bag expands and then solidifies. Some expanding foam in a bin liner might be the same effect, but the end result is unlikely to be pretty.

You could reinforce the boot base with some rigid members, and then use a post in the middle (utilising the existing threaded hole)?
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Supports for trunk floor

Post by Vtecmec » Mon May 17, 2021 7:59 pm

Building on the suggestion above, how about a threaded post with a top hat, screwed 8nto the spare wheel well hole?

Brozilla

Supports for trunk floor

Post by Brozilla » Tue May 18, 2021 9:07 am

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I certainly plan to utilize center hole. I thought about top hat too, but the hole is just too large for that: 60x80x13.5cm. I might just create a wooden frame for the time being and connect it to center hole to stop it from wiggling.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Supports for trunk floor

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue May 18, 2021 9:43 am

Lightest solution would be a small block of wood maybe 5"x4"x4" and screw it to the wheel secure hole so it acts as a pillar supporting the floor in the middle.

Brozilla

Supports for trunk floor

Post by Brozilla » Tue May 18, 2021 10:05 am

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:43 am
Lightest solution would be a small block of wood maybe 5"x4"x4" and screw it to the wheel secure hole so it acts as a pillar supporting the floor in the middle.
Material-wise yes, it seems that wood is the solution. But my carpet actually folds near the rear seat, not in the middle since subwoofer is there. I will just throw another block of wood in that part of the well.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”