Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

URGENT HELP NEEDED - Brake pad holder bolt

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Roystan
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: Natsyor

URGENT HELP NEEDED - Brake pad holder bolt

Post by Roystan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:40 pm

my car failed the MOT yesterday due to the rear pads being severly worn on the one side... I tried changing them last night but the bolt won't shift and the carrier for the pads won't lift up.
Now i phoned honda but the guy hadn't a clue and was fuckin clueless! (I had to describe how the pads sat in the caliper and describe the motion of the swivel part that holds th pads.

So i've took a risk and ordered the bolts called number 47 graphic, going against what he thinks, as he thinks its number 50.

However now i'm having second thoughts.

So if i describe to what i need can you see if you know what i'm on about.

Right..

The Rear Brake Pads, to change them you need to undo the bottom screw to the unit that lifts up (this unit is the one that holds the pads to the discs when its sealed. The top screw isn't loosening, and started to round off, so my mechanic mate is going to sort it out for me on Saturday, at which point i ordered new bolts for when he drills them out or what ever he does.

So my question is, i ordered bolts 47 (cost me £4.04 per bolt :evil: ) in the middle of the picture, but the guy on the phone said it sounds like its number 50 i needed. Now i know it wasn't number 50 cause there is no washer on the end and i distinctly remember the rubber cover of the slider pins that i had to push back.

Can anyone confirm that i ordered the correct parts or do i need to re-order a different set of bolts?

Thank you for any help! i appreciate it dearly

BMCC
My Generation: 5G

Post by BMCC » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:47 pm

Your right no 47 is what you require. You need to remove both the caliper bolts so that you can lift the caliper up and out the way so that you can gain access to the pads.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 pm

The 47's are the bolts that hold the caliper to the carrier. So yes, remove both of these and slide the caliper back and off the disc. You are correct. 50 looks like a bolt to hold the dust shield on perhaps?
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Yup as the other two have confirmed #47 is the slider bolts. If your mate cant get the bolt out your going to have to get a new slider pin as well. I had to replace one of my slider pins due to a stuck slider bolt. While your at it make sure all your slider pins are freely moving ;)
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:56 pm

you can buy a bolt remover, i had to use one on my caliper slider bolt (yeh only on one), it looks like a socket (i got it to shift my stubern mani bolts, it worked a treat). it has a kind of sharp spiral around the inside tapering smaller towards the top, it grabs the bolt, no way of it sliping :D

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”