Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Callipers failed.. AGAIN

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Pushki
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: Luigi_Black

Post by Pushki » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:44 pm

+Rep for doing it yourself! :wink:
ImageImageImage

vtectom

Post by vtectom » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:52 pm

If the pads are really tight in the carriers then I've lightly filed the carriers until
the pads can move freely, otherwise they'll soon be jammed tight again.

knightmare
XBOX GamerTag: Knightmaredef

Post by knightmare » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Nice one dude, glad you sorted it.. No more expensive garage bills now eh ? ...

Paul
'04 Audi A6 3.2 V6 Quattro
'04 2.4 Type S Accord Saloon Sold
'92 bb2 2.3i 4ws June 2000 R.I.P :(
'95 bb1 (June 2009) Sebring Silver. RIP

BlackShadow
My Generation: 5G
Location: Whitby. Not THAT Whitby, the other Whitby, the one in Durham. Not THAT Durham, the other Durham.

Post by BlackShadow » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:23 pm

:) You did it! Good man!

Did you lose much brake fluid when you turned the piston? Do you still have a good brake pedal? Or is it softer than before?

Those pins/numbs on the backs of the inside rear pads can cause a lot of problems if the piston isn't turned in such a way to seat them in the grooves.

What about the pads on the stuck caliper? Were they worn down more than the other side? Was there any heat cracking in them?

I'm impressed that you managed to get the parking brake assembly off! When I painted my calipers I wanted to remove them completely. I got the fronts off with no problem, but the p-brake assemblies on the rears were rusted solid (Canadian winters for ya).

I'm glad you got it working again, and that now you have the confidence to get in there and get your hands dirty. :) It's not as scary as they let on.

8-) Good job! + rep for having the won tons to do it yourself.
1997 Prelude Base (wrecked)
1996 Prelude SR (sold)
1994 Subaru SVX LSi (Sold)

Current:
1999 Prelude Base (S-Spec build in progress)
1990 Nissan 300ZX (weee!)
2011 Ford CVPI (daily)
1957 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

rob quilter
Supporter 2014
PSN GamerTag: robquilter

Post by rob quilter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Top stuff!

8-)
PERFORMANCE PARTS FOR JAPANESE CARS - http://WWW.TOKYOSQUAD.COM

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK - http://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/TOKYOSQUAD

Bio

Post by Bio » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Thanks for the words guys. Without the instruction and encouragement from everyone on here I don't think I would have gotten up the confidence to do it if I'm honest!

As for fluid loss, not much as it was only 1 turn that I had to go to sort it out, the brake feel was always slightly soft before and it's not much different now, though I probably should do a full bleed as I can imagine I've probably baked the fluid having to drive with it on.
The pads are OK enough, a little glazed for sure but I'm hoping it will wear off quickly, if not I'm confident enough to replace them now :)
The saving grace was likely that I only drove about a half mile with it stuck on, so though it was baking hot, I didn't go too far.

I think I was lucky with the handbrake assembly tbh, had it not been done 14 months ago it would have been a much worse state, and I did only take the pin out and disconnect from the spring return rather than the bottom.

Tomorrow I'll put my centre console back together, though the gear gaiter looks a little weird now so I'll have to sort it. At the front of it there is this sort of weird raised shape to it that I swear wasn't there before and if I push it, there is a hard curved plastic section sticking up. Hard to explain and I'm not really sure what all that is about. It's probably been there all along though!
1998 5th Gen 2.2 VTi Manual H22A5 BB8

Pushki
Supporter 2015
PSN GamerTag: Luigi_Black

Post by Pushki » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:57 am

Bio wrote:At the front of it there is this sort of weird raised shape to it that I swear wasn't there before and if I push it, there is a hard curved plastic section sticking up. Hard to explain and I'm not really sure what all that is about. It's probably been there all along though!
I think I know what you're talking about and it's perfectly normal. You just hadn't noticed it before. ;)
ImageImageImage

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”