Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Rear Wheel Bearings - Where to buy?

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
chris_rd92
My Generation: 5G

Post by chris_rd92 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi Guys,

So I've noticed a sort of reverberating droning noise recently from the back of the car, and I'm pretty certain one of the rear bearings is on the way out. Where is the best place to buy replacements?

Secondly, is this something I can replace myself? Or do I need a garage to press them into the hubs? I've done bearings before on other cars but not on a Prelude.

My car is a '97 BB8 - 2.2 VTI 5-Speed 4WS 5-lug

Cheers
Chris

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:17 pm

Rear bearings a easy to do...wheel off, caliper and carrier off (don't disconnect), disc off, if there's a dust cover for the hub spindle nut take that off, remove nut and the bearing hub assembly should just come off (might need a bit of a tug to break free).

Make sure your new bearing hub assembly comes with a new nut.

Ideal time to replace discs and pads if they're worn and service the slider pins too, if you're comfortable doing that.

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:21 pm

You just have to make sure that it's a 5 stud hub you get.

The honda part number is 42200-S30-J51 if that helps.

chris_rd92

Post by chris_rd92 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:24 pm

ek9sid wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:17 pm
Rear bearings a easy to do...wheel off, caliper and carrier off (don't disconnect), disc off, if there's a dust cover for the hub spindle nut take that off, remove nut and the bearing hub assembly should just come off (might need a bit of a tug to break free).

Make sure your new bearing hub assembly comes with a new nut.

Ideal time to replace discs and pads if they're worn and service the slider pins too, if you're comfortable doing that.
Awesome! That's what I was hoping to hear :D can you recommend anywhere that sells them new?

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:29 pm

I usually look on the ebay. I'd just be cautious and get a branded unit that you've heard of before and that you trust. Especially for how much they cost.

Failing that, there's always euro car parts and whatnot.

If you're not in a rush for it, I've used AutoDoc. Takes a week to 2 weeks to arrive but they're well priced. There's an app for them too.

Where abouts are you located? Just thinking if you're close and you feel like you need a hand...

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:37 pm

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:38 pm

I forgot about RockAuto. Another trusted retailer :thumbup:

chris_rd92

Post by chris_rd92 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:00 pm

ek9sid wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:29 pm
I usually look on the ebay. I'd just be cautious and get a branded unit that you've heard of before and that you trust. Especially for how much they cost.

Failing that, there's always euro car parts and whatnot.

If you're not in a rush for it, I've used AutoDoc. Takes a week to 2 weeks to arrive but they're well priced. There's an app for them too.

Where abouts are you located? Just thinking if you're close and you feel like you need a hand...
Brilliant thanks man!! I'm not in a huge rush so Autodoc looks ideal. I searched the part number and I'm seeing a number of products that pretty much look the same but from lots of different brands. (Ashika, BTA, Vaico, SNR, GSP, Japco, NK, etc...). Should I avoid any of these? Or are any of these considered the best?

I'm located in north Essex mate!

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Post by ek9sid » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:36 pm

Ahh fair one. For some reason I thought you were Yorkshire. I used to be in Suffolk but moved up here a few years ago.

The only one of those brands I've heard of before is Ashika. I think they were alright. I've always tried to get Blueprint stuff as, well a few years ago at least, they were considered decent in terms of quality.

chris_rd92

Post by chris_rd92 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:29 pm

ek9sid wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:36 pm
Ahh fair one. For some reason I thought you were Yorkshire. I used to be in Suffolk but moved up here a few years ago.

The only one of those brands I've heard of before is Ashika. I think they were alright. I've always tried to get Blueprint stuff as, well a few years ago at least, they were considered decent in terms of quality.
Technically I am in Yorkshire! My work is based there, but since Covid I've been working from home back at my parents in Essex lol. I'll see if anyone else has any input on brands but if not then I'll try the Ashika ones. Cheers!

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”