Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

New tyres

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Andyjess666
My Generation: 5G

New tyres

Post by Andyjess666 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:09 am

Hi guys going to get some new tyres for my lude 215 45 17 other than Goodyear an other large brands has anyone run Yokohamas or tried 215 55 17 to any success any thoughts would be helpful cheers

Sooty
My Generation: 3G

New tyres

Post by Sooty » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:20 am

215/55 would be no no, the side wall will be too high and it'll throw your handling and Speedo.

As far as brands go my experience has been too avoid budgets including the budget versions with in the premium brands (car dependant of course). I have Goodyear on the front of an frv and they spin in the wet when pulling out of junctions. There's a lot of opinions on tyres but consider the car and the diving style. Had Yoko's for years on a civic vti and they were great.

Scott560

New tyres

Post by Scott560 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:11 am

Depends what you want from the tyre.

stay with 215/45/17 , that's the correct size. I tried 40 and regretted it. I doubt 50 would fit well if your lude is lowered.

I went with pilot sport 4 , it was an OK all round tyre. No complaints but not 100% sporty, just generally progressive and predictable.

I then splashed out on pilot cup 2 for a trackday, and they are way too soft for day to day use - lots of gravel pickup and wear out quickly. suspect they are bit breakaway in the wet but never really driven on them much in those conditions. Dry/warm grip is exceptional as you'd expect. When i get my second set of motegi wheels refurbed, i will change to something less track orientated.

There are some decent tyre review videos on youtube. If you live in a rainy place consider something less summer orientated. Uniroyal rainsport may not be in the premium section, but i had them before and had no complaints.

You can get some good grippy tyres in the not-premium brand, but they tend to be soft and wear out quickly.

As ever with the lude, since most of the weight and traction is from the front, if you do have soft tyres, remember to check/swap front to rears half way through the wear (as the rears will likely be pretty new).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

New tyres

Post by ek9sid » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:35 pm

+1 for the rainsports for a daily here

Andyjess666

New tyres

Post by Andyjess666 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:45 pm

I had the sport 4 before they are good just wondering really what people have on theirs at the mo I'm looking at the Yokohama tyres just for a change really

K30DPC
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G

New tyres

Post by K30DPC » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:39 pm

I'm running toyo T1R. Since I bought first set I fell in love and I believe they saved my life a few times. Car is going like a train. They quite soft and I have to buy new fronts every 2 years, but never had better rubbers.
On second car I have michelin crossclimate, all season. Expensive but holds well even in low temps. Not as good on snow as proper winter tires but this is to be expected. In 7 years I had to change fronts as they got damaged due to low air pressure which if you don't have TPMS is hardly noticeable.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

New tyres

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:53 pm

Pilot sport 4....decent, spongy not sporty, comfy.

I now run ad08rs, excellent, hard, very sporty, mild comfort.

Awaiting ad09 later this year.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

New tyres

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:59 pm

Very, very happy with the Rainsport 3's on 17's on my BB4 - excellent on the road (wet and dry) and on the drag slip (proven times and grip :D )
(Have also run them to good success on a Citroen C2 Loeb/VTS)

I absolutely loved the Goodyear Eagle F1's on the 15's on my BB1, but they're no longer available.

FWIW (completely different type of car lol) I recently put some Yoko BlueEarth ES on the front on my C5, because the Goodrich G-Grip that I absolutely loved/suit it so well, have gone stupidly expensive.
Happy with the Yoko's on grip wet/dry (though they are slightly less grippy than the Goodrich IMO) and noise, but slightly stiffer on ride and slightly heavier on steering than the G-Grip. Good tyre, but I prefer the Goodrich's.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”