Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Rear handbrake adjustment balance

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:42 pm

Bullet point 2 caught me out last time, making sure the lever is rotated on the pin by hand first,

Max
My Generation: 5G

Post by Max » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:47 pm

Yep if i hadnt checked the manual i think i would have ended up blindly adjusting until i had 6 or so clicks on the handbrake, first thing i did was check the lever on the pin and thats when i realised something wasn't right.

Max

Post by Max » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:29 pm

Well replacing the caliper hasnt helped sadly, before i replaced it i tried bleeding the caliper, then with the adjuster loose and the car running i pumped the brakes several times, even tried winding the caliper back in and going through the adjustment procedure again, no dice.

Replaced the caliper and got it bled, then back through the adjustment procedure again, its slightly better as-in the passenger seems 3 clicks behind the driver instead of 4 now, but still very obviously out of balance, tried the adjustment procedure again several times and still no dice.

So back to inspecting things again i spotted a couple things that dont seem right and point to the cable.

Firstly notice the clean cable end on the right and the rusty one on the left, granted the area on the equalizer mimics the state of the cable end but that was my first clue, not sure how i didnt notice this before...

Now notice the very obviously OEM cable on the passenger side, but quite possibly not OEM cable on the driver side, one has S30-L00 6K22 printed on it, the other just has TSK.

Looking at the cable ends attached to the caliper lever arms, the driver side looks nice and straight whereas the passenger side looks kinked and the boot not straight either.

The cable on the passenger trailing arm looks overall worse for wear compared to the driver side and all this together makes me think the driver side has already been replaced at some point in the past, i googled TSK and they are a Chinese parts supplier, at this point i think i have no choice to move onto the next suspect and replace the passenger cable...

Any thoughts or recommendations on parts?

Max

Post by Max » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:53 pm

According to Amayama and JP car parts the cable i need is 47560-S30-003, looks like nobody has this other than one seller on ebay and its a Blueprint item so going to go with that.

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:02 pm

blueprint should be fine
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

K30DPC
LotM Winner

Post by K30DPC » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:03 pm

Max wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:53 pm
According to Amayama and JP car parts the cable i need is 47560-S30-003, looks like nobody has this other than one seller on ebay and its a Blueprint item so going to go with that.

How it ended up? I was looking for a handbrake cable and no one had it. I'm about to custom made one. If you still didn't buy one double check lenght with seller. I spoke to ebay seller and they were 100% sure it will fit my car. Mine is facelift and required 1170mm long cable housing while they were selling 1170 total lenght which is for prefacelift. And it was from blue print as well. All i all I'm still in need for driver side cable.

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:24 pm

The new handbrake cable i have is 2170 total length and is right hand side for prefacelift 4th gen.
It was sold under Quinton Hazel brand but is genuine Honda OEM part. I also bought a Quinton Hazel H22 Water pump and it was genuine Honda.
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Max

Post by Max » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:57 pm

It took me almost 2 weeks to get the right cable, the ebay Blueprint one wasn't in stock in the end, i then found it from another 2 websites and they cancelled the order on me too, but then this Borg and Beck one on ebay kept coming up in my searches despite it not listing the OEM part number. Then i did a bit of digging and found the Borg and Beck part number cross referenced with the OEM part number and a number of other manufacturers that all said it was the correct 5th gen left hand cable, so after cross referencing on another couple of sites i decided to pull the trigger. Looks like i have the last available new cable in existence lol and the best part was the seller took an offer on it for £20 delivered so that was a result.

On inspection i do believe it is the correct cable and after comparing the new and old side by side the new cable seems roughly 5mm shorter which is kinda what i expected if the old cable really is stretched...

As for fitting i had no real issues getting the old one out but getting the new one in is a nightmare due to the grommet, the cable goes in behind the mid pipe heat shield so after spending ages teasing 2 rusty heat shield bolts out without breaking anything i was able to peel the heatshield out of the way just enough to get the new cable in. However i failed to complete the install because i couldn't get the new grommet pressed in, there is almost no space to get your hand in there let alone press the grommet in with force. After much struggling and trying all sorts i was exhausted and out of time, so i decided im going to have to drop the exhaust this weekend to make more room, which is going to be fun because im doing this on my back with the car on axle stands and the exhaust is a custom 1 piece from the cat back, what a PITA!

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:53 pm

I can feel your pain. Rather than undoing any of the exhaust, you can probably just slip the back box off the hangers, and the whole thing might drop down to give enough room? Undoing exhaust bolts only leads to more pain.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Max

Post by Max » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:25 pm

Good point, i suppose thats worth a try before i undo any bolts, fingers crossed!

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”