Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen exhaust muffler alternatives?

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Anzezaf
My Generation: 5G

Post by Anzezaf » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:45 pm

So, my rear muffler is nearing the end of its life and I would like to replace it in the near future - but only with an OEM style muffler.
(I have a sporty pass-through muffler but the drone it creates inside the cabin is horrible)

Thing is, I cannot for the life of me find a suitable replacement (aftermarket parts are non existent, and an OEM one is like 300 quid so fk that).

Does anyone have experience with taking a muffler from a similar model and making it fit? Or just taking it to an exhaust shop and let them handle it?

Since Accords of that era also had the f20a4 engine that our 2.0 preludes had, the accord's muffler should be pretty spot-on regarding the (audible) performance.
And since on our preludes the exhaust muffler is the same for f20a4 and h22 motors this should also mean that the accord muffler would perform well paired with h22.

LIE
My Generation: 4G

Post by LIE » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:29 am

I had a terrible sound from mine and knocking to both(resonator and end muffler) made a resonating sound. As well as accelerator release from high RPMs made terrible over 100 db noise.
What I did, was cut both open since mine had a great outside condition and repacked them. Around 200Euros and both bundles are as new.
What was needed:
* stainless steel wool
* dense packing material
* guy with tig

Anyway, if you have a resonator(in the middle of the exhaust), check if that does not require maintenance as well. It handles the resonating sound and maybe that's the issue?
If everything else fails, read the manual!

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:12 am

I repacked my stainless fartbox and it made 0 difference. I also paired it with the stock prelude resonator and it still didn't muffle the droning resonance enough.

I have my mind set on a quiet muffler, that's it.

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:15 am

I still have this if it's any good to you:-

International Pensioner of Mystery

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:00 pm

Thanks for the offer :thumbup: But I figure shipping it would cost me way too much.

I'm rather going to buy a new, comparable muffler in a local shop for 50-100 EUR and thats it

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”