Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Brake pipe, not hose

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Curt
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: CannonGrave

Brake pipe, not hose

Post by Curt » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:20 pm

Hello guys it's been a while, hope everyone is doing well. I'm trying to find a set of front brake pipes for the car (2000 2.2) but am having zero luck. Does anyone know the best place to purchase these. Huge thanks for your time.

Kind regards

Curt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott560

Brake pipe, not hose

Post by Scott560 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:27 pm

You will need to make them - it will probably be impossible to get new ones.

You buy a roll of brake pipe, unfurl it, bend it to shape and fit it to the car. You then buy a special tool called a brake flaring tool, and you put the nuts over the end and then 'flare' the end of the pipe out. This keeps the nut captive, and also prepares the interface of where the pipe meets the hose.

If the pipes are corroded, its worth replacing the flexible hose as well at the same time for good measure.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Curt

Brake pipe, not hose

Post by Curt » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:33 pm

Massive thanks Scott. Will look at get them specially made.

Scott560

Brake pipe, not hose

Post by Scott560 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:47 pm

Any competent garage should be able to do it. Its a common MOT fail on older cars, so it shouldn't be too hard to track down a garage willing to do it. It might be a bit fiddly, I haven't looked close enough at how the pipes are routed. I suspect if you want it done quickly you will be charged a fiddly tax for it. Probably best to drop it off and leave it somewhere until they can fit it in type job.

Obviously the garage will need the car as the pipe will be made close to, but not exactly like the original - they simply make it 'in-situ' on the car and join up each corner to the ABS pump. The pipes cannot be made outside the car and then fitted, as the originals are fitted to the car before the subframe and engine goes in, so its unlikely a pipe can be made off the car and slotted into place.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Curt

Brake pipe, not hose

Post by Curt » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:09 pm

My local Honda dealership are on the case 🙂 Don't really trust other garages. I would have been tempted to take it to HondR if it wasn't so far away 😥. Ps thanks again for the info Scott, hugely appreciated.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”