Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Caliper Rebuild

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Roystan
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: Natsyor

Caliper Rebuild

Post by Roystan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:31 am

If i wanted to rebuild my calipers.... from every nut, bolt and rubbers....

What exactly do i need?

So i know theres some bolts holding stuff in place etc... but If i wanted to replace them with all brand new bolts etc what do i need? Do they have a specific name for everything?

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by lewd lude lover » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:50 am

you will find almost all the parts will be fine if you remove all the rust. strip all parts and soak in vinegar for a couple of days and you will have clean bare fresh metal again.

otherwise its caliper seals from brakesinternational or ebay and keep everything really clean as your putting back together.

if you really want new bits then have a look at the tech manual to discover individual parts numbers and call honda. this will be a very expensive way of doing it though.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:05 am

As LLL says, I would only replace parts that are FUBAR. The main thing with the calipers is that all the parts are clean, free moving, and propperly greased. A good clean and paint, and rebuilding them with the refurb kit will do the job fine IMO:

Take note that one of the slider pins has flat sections on it, this pin needs go back into the same place. Get BiggRed kits from http://www.biggred.co.uk Fronts = BRK205720 rears = BRK203408.

Instead of spending money on repacing all the bolts of your calipers, save the money and spend it on good fluid and maybe braided hoses ;)
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Roystan
XBOX GamerTag: Natsyor

Post by Roystan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks i'll check out Big Red

Duo

Post by Duo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Refurb the rubbers and clean everything but don't take the handbrake bits appart, they're inside the rear pistons and complicated as you like so best left. I've done it on my calipers with refurb kits from Brakes International (BrakesInt) and got a write up in my profile, however I am after adding more detailed pics to explain things a bit more, I'll get on to Confused to see if he can get me the pics or put them up on photobucket. If you need advice just sling me a PM and possibly keep an eye on Gayno's profile as I've helped with his brakes too, not sure if he'd be able to get pics up faster but he probably could.

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:48 pm

^ yeah, try and leave the rear piston in as well! The main things to check are the piston and carrier rubber seals, the carrier pistons and the main piston for corrosion (just unwind it a bit, I think the the front just pushes out).
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”