Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

1st Gen Up on Blocks for 30 years! Any takers?

Found something cool online? Post a thread about it in here.
markt
My Generation: 1G

1st Gen Up on Blocks for 30 years! Any takers?

Post by markt » Sat May 05, 2018 6:18 am

OK Prelude folk, here's the deal. My wife and I moved out to the USA many years ago. My father-in-law, now deceased, decided about 30 or so years ago that they only needed one car in retirement. He then put the Prelude, which as far as I know is very low miles, up on blocks (2 ft up in the air for reasons to be explained) as, obviously, the most logical course of action. It was prepped for this with all the sensible things being done as he was an engineer by trade. Anyway, it never came down and has sat there under tarps and quilts, with a few cardboard boxes on the roof, from the late 80's or early 90's and so it remains. The body is the original white, completely unblemished, with a blue interior. Basically we're talking a barn-find for someone here. My father-in-law was the original owner, and everything is totally as delivered (I think even the tyres too but that's an original part you probably don't want to keep).

So, why so high up - well, it's in a garage by the river in Purley-on-Thames and water does get in there every now and then (it's on the towpath that the BBC loves to use whenever there's flooding and they want to show bursting banks etc - lovely location but not for everyone for sure). Anyway, it's never got that high so it's stayed dry and the height it was raised to kept it secure. That said, I suspect it's horribly musty inside having been pretty much closed up all these years. Nope, I don't have any more details to hand or photographs yet. I did take a peek and the interior looks OK with some cleaning, the exterior appears totally rust free (the underside is rust-proofed) but I didn't expose it fully as I didn't have time).

Well, it's now never going to be used as my wife's mother is now in a home and the house is being gradually cleared. I don't know all the details, have no idea how easy it would be to put back on the road (I suspect not too hard) and it's probably a gem for someone. As I live 6000 miles away, there's not much more I can say or do about it till the end of June when I'm next in the UK.

It would take some effort to get down and then to check out so it's probably a flatbed to your workshop or garage but I'd dearly love this modern classic to see another life. Contact me if you want to arrange something when I'm next over.

I hate to see a good car go to waste!

Mark

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat May 05, 2018 9:17 am

Hi Mark

Thanks for posting this on here.
I've been after a 1st Gen for a couple of years, so am very interested.
Only a couple of hours from me and car being 2feet in the air sounds good - should be able to back my trailer straight under it :D
So yep, very interested. Drop me a line and let's see if we can tie up :D
(will PM you also)
Cheers

B00mer
My Generation: 2G

Post by B00mer » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 pm

Would love to see some pictures of it 8-)

EDIT: Just seen them in the for sale add lol

Return to “Look What I Found!”