Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

temp car insurance

Insurers with Club Schemes
firstlude
My Generation: 4G

temp car insurance

Post by firstlude » Wed May 30, 2018 8:07 pm

like the title anyone got any experience with temp car insurance as i was thinking once my project lude finally gets an mot i would like to at least drive it for a bit after doing so much work on it :)
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

Shiny
My Generation: 0G

Post by Shiny » Wed May 30, 2018 8:20 pm

I only ever use Aviva’s short period insurance.

Don’t forget you’ll need to tax it and then SORN it again as soon as the temp insurance runs out.

Have you got another car policy in force? You might be able to add it as a temporary additional vehicle for a number of days. Then you can weigh the cost up against stand alone temporary insurance.

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Wed May 30, 2018 8:50 pm

i do have a current policy on my other car so might give them a ring see what they say , good idea .
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 pm

I find insurers tend to shy away from temporary additional vehicles these days :(

I've used Tempcover a few times over the years.

crxdriver
My Generation: 5G

Post by crxdriver » Wed May 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Some insurers will add another car for a while, so this is the best place to start. If they wont. I went ahead with pay monthly on insurance for the donor lude from confused.com. I then canceled the direct debit after the first payment. After 4 weeks i phoned up insurance and said im no longer using the car. I was quoted £40-60ish for 3 days insurance with short term insurers. I paid £58 for the month through confused.com, they asked for a £20 cancellation fee but i convinced them to waiver it by saying if they didn't i wouldn't come back to them when i got a new car. Even if i did pay the £20 is still a tonne cheaper than short term/temp cover.

crxdriver

Post by crxdriver » Wed May 30, 2018 11:05 pm

wurlycorner wrote:I find insurers tend to shy away from temporary additional vehicles these days :(

I've used Tempcover a few times over the years.
I used to use dayinsure back in the day when it was £10 to insure for 24hours and for any car upto £50,000. Those days are long gone.

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Thu May 31, 2018 9:48 am

I know this is a lot of bother to do it this way...however Temp insurance as Shiney has said Aviva do one of the most competitive on the market.

However if you aren't with a mickey mouse company you should be able to do a change of vehicle yourself via an online portal. So your current insurance do a quote for changing the vehicle and accept this, then tax the on the road vehicle. Make sure your other vehicle is off the road an on private property ideally in a garage (probably wouldn't bother making this SORN just done use it). Make use of the on the road vehicle and when done do the reverse. Change of vehicle on current policy and SORN the vehicle.

This way is likely to be the cheapest if you are only doing over a short period as it wont be on Temp vehicle rates and only pro rata. Also by using the online portal you will avoid admin charges which can range from £15-£45 with some insurers.

Shiny
My Generation: 0G

Post by Shiny » Thu May 31, 2018 10:07 am

Most online portals will have the admin fees built in, it's how some of these companies make up for cheap rates. Two adjustments could be 2 lots of admin fees.

Also very risky taking out an annual policy and then cancelling it. If you have an accident, you'll be stuck with the full annual premium which, on nil NCB (as NCB is being used on your primary car) is likely to be be expensive. Also, go over the 14 days cooling off and some companies have horrendous short period cancellation rates.

Trust me, either phone your current insurers and see if they will do a temporary additional vehicle or arrange separate short term insurance.

For those that don't know, I started in high street broking in 1986 and now own my own insurance Brokers :geek:

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Thu May 31, 2018 11:37 am

Shiny wrote:Most online portals will have the admin fees built in, it's how some of these companies make up for cheap rates. Two adjustments could be 2 lots of admin fees.

Also very risky taking out an annual policy and then cancelling it. If you have an accident, you'll be stuck with the full annual premium which, on nil NCB (as NCB is being used on your primary car) is likely to be be expensive. Also, go over the 14 days cooling off and some companies have horrendous short period cancellation rates.

Trust me, either phone your current insurers and see if they will do a temporary additional vehicle or arrange separate short term insurance.

For those that don't know, I started in high street broking in 1986 and now own my own insurance Brokers :geek:
Very few charge admin fees for doing your own changes as you are doing the administration yourself knowing the Aviva policy through previous employment and being insured with them and having done a change of vehicle in the last week I know that they do not charge Admin fees when you do the change online yourself. When you phone them you will have an admin fee as its costing the company money for you to speak to an underwriter.

Im not advising he takes out an annual policy, what i'm advising is he does a change of vehicle on his current policy online as he will be the owner and registered keeper of the vehicle. Doing this online will hopefully remove any admin charges he then taxes the vehicle and uses for the time required. Once he has done his running about he can then go back online and change the vehicle details back to the original vehicle. Meaning if he has an accident in the vehicle he is driving it is insured taxed and fully covered. His NCD would be effected anyway (unless protected) and he will be liable for the annual premium either way no matter which vehicle is covered.

Doing it this way should only charge a time on risk charge and not a short term rate. Along with this trying to avoid any administration charges.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu May 31, 2018 11:44 am

I have found NFU very helpful. They are initially expensive for an entire year's cover, but are very flexible and make no charges for changes or cancellation. So, I found that the overall charge for a part year worked out a very reasonable price per day.

Return to “Insurers”