Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Help !!! Just bought a 4G and it needs a passenger sill.

Oooooo .... shiny!
xchipx
My Generation: 4G

Help !!! Just bought a 4G and it needs a passenger sill.

Post by xchipx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:46 am

Hey everyone, new guy here. Not new to Hondas at all, infact some of you might recognise me from other forums.

I bought a Prelude 4th gen off ebay this week, the seller assured me it was solid underneath. Was it hell!!

Found a hole AT LEAST 25 inches long in the passenger sill. The rear jacking point on the same side is non existant.
The car stands me at almost £ 600, yet now im thinking I might have to scrap it. Absolutely gutted, ive always wanted a 4G prelude, so not off to a good start.

Where,if anywhere, can I get a replacement sill? Please guys help, I want to keep this car alive ! Need to know asap as these next couple of days will decide the cars fate.

Regards,
Mark

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:02 am

Welcome to the club Mark :)

Bit of a bummer to start things off for you :( Have you said anything to the seller? If they're decent enough they might reimburse you some of your money back.

As for replacement sills. I have seen brand new replacements float through the forum in the past I think, but other than that have you considered chopping known good ones of off a breaker?

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 am

Check the 'group buys' section, pretty sure replacements are available.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:29 am

I'd had a quick look there previously as I thought there was one as well, but I couldn't see one.

... Unless it's blended in with the 4th gen rear arch groupbuy :?:

@Cebul

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:01 pm

That sucks the seller saying the car was solid if it's that rotten.
Do you have any pics?

Yep, cebul can get sills for 4g's as well as rear arches.

xchipx

Re: Help !!! Just bought a 4G and it needs a passenger sill.

Post by xchipx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Yeah, the car looked so nice on the pictures guys.
The guy delivered it me 120miles, and he was in a rush to get off, seemed like a nice guy, ex Marine Engineer, retired family guy sorta man. I saw the car and the bodywork didnt look as nice as the pictures,
but I wasnt too bothered about that, my main concern was the shell. I told him I trust him and I will just take it for what it went for at auction etc.
Yeah on the pictures the arches did look a bit nasty, but I specifically asked him what the floor etc was like and he said it was rock solid etc. He said theres no reason why the car wouldnt go through an mot.
Perhaps he forgot about 4 bald tyres, 4ws light on, fked wheel bearing on passenger front, blowing manifold and blowing backbox, really high bitting point clutch, split cv boot, oil leaking onto front pipe, And probably much more that ive not seen yet.

I emailed him a decent message, no bad language etc, he replied saying he sold it in good faith etc and cant offer any refund what-so-ever. Anyway rant over.

Moral of the story = ALWAYS check a car no matter what. Dont buy a car without seeing it. Dont trust anyone. Im going to take this one on the chin and stop moaning now ! :)
Last edited by xchipx on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xchipx

Post by xchipx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:37 pm

bb1boy
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:08 pm

At least you got a 'Lude out of it, dude! It may need a little work (as most do nowadays) but you'll end up with a sweet ride when all's said and done. ..and, to be fair, even with those issues £600 is still good for a near 200bhp car.

One of my [stupidest] mates, bought a VW T4 off of Gumtree ..he sent £4k via bank transfer!!!! Guess who never got his T4 delivered..?!

Donald
Supporter 2015

Post by Donald » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Wow what an absolute numpty. :lol:

bb1boy
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Donald wrote:Wow what an absolute numpty. :lol:
Agreed, 100%! I couldn't believe it when he told me the story.. needless to say I mocked him profusely - as if losing £4 grand on an internet scam wasn't bad enough!

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”