Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th Gen Common Rust Areas?

Oooooo .... shiny!
chris_rd92
My Generation: 5G

Post by chris_rd92 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi guys,

Just want to create an open discussion about where the common rust areas are to watch for on 5th gens. I daily drive my 5th gen in all weather, and its incredibly clean at the moment, so I'd like to keep it that way!

I know the rear arches is the big killer, but are there any other places to keep an eye on? And what are peoples favorite methods/products for rust prevention? I currently use Schultz underseal and Waxoil but feel these aren't really up to the task.

Would be great to hear other opinions!

Cheers
Chris

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:47 pm

Rear arches is the main one - mine have had the rubber strip removed. This seems to be what traps the moisture (or did on my last 5th gen which got very rusty).

I have rust creeping-in in the following places:

1) around the door handle area, i can see its starting to bubble up.
2) around the periphery of the doors themselves, i suspect the paint is thin and easily comes off on this section.
3) When the boot is open, there are a few small patches around the seal, behind the rear window and near the rear lights (mostly at the seams), this just seems to be on the surface mine thankfully
4) Brake disc shields at the front seem to be particularly mullered - but its not structural or cosmetic so im not worried about those.

Otherwise, i'm in good condition somehow - it spent some of its life abroad which must have helped.

Underneath the car i'm all good. I think the front stays healthy thanks to various oil leaks over the years. The rear is where it probably fares worse, so concentrate more in this area perhaps for underneath.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:02 pm

- Behind rear bootlid rubber right where the latch is.
- Rear arches
- Where spoiler attached to bootlid. On a Type S flush mount spoiler this is mainly on the corners
- Rear bootlid lock
- all around the underside of the chassis.
- Behind the side skirts
- front slam panel
- Engine bay suspension turrent/strut seams
- Under the plastic wiper cowl piece.

I use Bilt hamber products. Used back in 2008 on whole underside, arches etc etc. I touched up some areas during lockdown but still going strong after 12 years.

chris_rd92

Post by chris_rd92 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 pm

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the help guys. I've invested in a shed load of Dinitrol Cavity wax and heavy duty underside stuff, which has worked an absolute treat on my dad's Supra, so will be attacking the Lude with it asap. when I bought the car last August, Th car looked immaculate, but I soo found a couple holes in the rear inner arch above the lip, but thankfully the outer skin was mint, so I treated these and patched them, before pumping straight 2 in 1 oil down behind the panel. It seems to be holding strong!

Scott, interesting that you have rust showing around the door handle area. This hadn't struck me as a vulnerable area, so how would you recommend future-proofing an area like this?

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:44 pm

I couldn't say - I suspect that it started from minor damage in the past where perhaps someone tried to remove the door handle. The only way to get to the area is to remove the door card and peel back the plastic liner and have a look in there. I suspect yours will be fine.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”