Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

how real does carbon wrap look when lacquered?

Oooooo .... shiny!
A1ex
My Generation: 5G

Post by A1ex » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:26 am

Have you ever tried to cut a carbon fibre panel? Unless you got a Tungsten Carbide blade (which will also cut steel) it's an absolute bitch.

Also, with the right resins & orientations it can be made stronger than Titanium which is why they use it on aeroplane wings.
PAW rebuilt 98 prelude 228bhp & 171lb/ft R.I.P.
PAW rebuilt 01 ATR 238bhp & 164lb/ft sold
Monte Carlo Blue 02 S2K :D

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:31 am

but the budget i will have for it will not cover that quality. i am more likely to find a glass carbon overlay. not so strong..
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

Ted
My Generation: 4G

Post by Ted » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:44 am

As alex said carbon fibre is super strong jobby. the stuff your windows are made of is probably the weak link into your car and theres not a lot you can do about that.
a good alarm is all that is needed on a car that is ....... how do i say this........ at the level of value of any prelude i think, they are now at an age where unless somebody fancies your wheels or ice and its an easy target its not worth the hassle of taking.
dont take this the wrong way its just theres not a big enough choice of buyers for the low life scum to sell to imo which means why bother for little return when you can have the focus rs from the street around the corner for the same effort.
:roll:

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 am

agreed but i am pretty sure that there are many nobs out there who might think a carbon boot would be a nice quiet way into a car. cause a load of damage, not get in and walk off.

i have toad cat1, removable wheel and garage as main security and i accept that ludes are past their best from a twokers point of view but still im not so sure about a carbon boot.

i have yet to see a really really well fitting bonnet yet as well and the boot NEEDs to fit right or you end up with water getting trapped in the bottom of the boot well.

i have rethought for the moment anyway :lol: the small parts for sure but i am leaving the boot till next winter. ill look for a good carbon one in the meantime.

Lude-dude
XBOX GamerTag: Vtec Junky
PSN GamerTag: Rob7niner

Post by Lude-dude » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 am

most carbon stuff is fibreglass with carbon layers on top

real stuff would cost 1000's right?

I imagine the sticker carbon would soak up the laquer, not work at all

there is carbon sticker with a glossy layer but its not as flexable, you couldnt do any bodywork with it

H22a5 UKDM 2.2 VTI 244Bhp 180lbs/ft Crower stage 2
http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t3211.html

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 am

soaking up lacquer is not an issue. you put two coats on then flat back half way. two more coats, flat and polish. a little wibblyness is ok as all real carbon parts i have seen are a bit wibbly. to be honest the results iv had with my bonnet show me that all it takes is lots and lots of gentle sanding :D

its the depth im after. you just dont get it with dry carbon or stickers.

A1ex

Post by A1ex » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:46 pm

The real stuff shoudn't cost 1000's, what you should do is contact Seboin (think I've spelt it right) and ask then what layers, weave, resin & orientation they're doing for the parts. If they're cutting it with F/Glass they should be sussed out pretty quick. Also, if it's being cut it will not be as light as you'd expect as the glass has a higher density. Final point, if the the centre layer is glass, it shouldn't compromise the final strength of the finished product as its the layers further from the centre which carry the most force (I'm sure you don't want the physics version of evens)
PAW rebuilt 98 prelude 228bhp & 171lb/ft R.I.P.
PAW rebuilt 01 ATR 238bhp & 164lb/ft sold
Monte Carlo Blue 02 S2K :D

mcj78

Post by mcj78 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:01 pm

On the 3M di-noc subject, there's a new one out apparently more suitable for motoring applications - 3M 1080 series it's called & it's apparently easier to apply than the di-noc & supposedly looks just like clear-coated cf... that underground graphics has it listed on their site, anyone have any experience of it - been toying with the idea of wrapping my wood dash for a bit & this stuff looks quite good?

J

toadster

Post by toadster » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:50 pm

LO

I bought some Carbon sheet from a local car decal shop and used it to cover my window trims :mrgreen:

It has a matt finish but they also had a gloss version , they use both types to wrap customers cars 8-)

I can't remember the name of the stuff but i could find out :?:

Cheers ;)

Toadster

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 pm

that looks wicked mate. you mind if i steal that one ?? :)

iv been looking at the 1080 and thinking thats the one im after. it looks much better in the light but iv yet to see it in the flesh......

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”