Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Waxing a car and rust - dumb question!

Oooooo .... shiny!
G-lude
My Generation: 5G

Waxing a car and rust - dumb question!

Post by G-lude » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:58 pm

So I'm in the process of considering getting the small patch of paint bubbling fixed up on my car. It hasn't got worse in the year or so I have owned the car and it does still seem very solid.

I'm currently looking into the po15 starter kit and feel semi-confident on doing a patch repair on the affected area and then applying por 15 in the inner arches to make sure for the moment no further rust forms. I'm not in a position to get clean new arches welded in at this time and personally until any other rust forms I'm not going to consider it for now.

My question is, I clean my car once every fortnight and I do so myself as I like to give the inside of each arch a good clean to stop the usual build up of dirt and grime . Once every month or two I intend to give the car a full wax which I apply by hand. Will I be speeding up the process of the rust bubbling by applying wax to this area or am I better to avoid it at all costs?

Realistically it will be another month before I have the funds to buy all the equipment I need to prep, treat and paint the effected area. So any help and tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Picture below for reference (Excuse the unclean car!):

Last edited by G-lude on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Craig_85

Post by Craig_85 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Without seeing pictures I would expect your rust is bubbling up from the inside, not from the outside, wax shouldn't affect it. What might help, a tiny bit, is to remove the rear seats, rear interior trim and look down into the arch, possibly soaking the whole inside of the inner and outer arch with a waxoyl type product.

G-lude

Post by G-lude » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Craig_85 wrote:Without seeing pictures I would expect your rust is bubbling up from the inside, not from the outside, wax shouldn't affect it. What might help, a tiny bit, is to remove the rear seats, rear interior trim and look down into the arch, possibly soaking the whole inside of the inner and outer arch with a waxoyl type product.
thanks for the reply :) I have updated the thread with a picture above. Its inevitably been caused by the inside of the arches not being cleaned properly by previous owners. Should just be a case of taking off the paint and sanding it down, prepping and using por 15 on the inside and on the outside of the area affected.

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”