Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Battery hold-down paint project

Oooooo .... shiny!
simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Battery hold-down paint project

Post by simonc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:44 am

I've been unhappy about the last job I did on the hold-down. I wasn't patient enough and it ended up looking like a right pig's ear. So last Sunday I decided to sort it out - properly and with patience - to add a bit of va-va-voom to the engine bay.
Here's what it looked like before, it was white but I'd put about a thousand layers of paint on it and wasn't patient during the process, so it had finger marks and was far too thick. Jason did a quick touch up to cover my bodged efforts, but as a result, it lost something in the translation.
I stripped off the old paint and washed it with plenty of water. Here's the result. Top
Underside
Then I gave it some welly with sandpaper and rubbed it clean with paint thinners. Top
Underside
Then out to my lavishly equipped spray booth.
And here's the discipline. Slowly, slowly and wait till the layers dry. This is where I fell down before.
Then a final light coating to finish it off and leave it to dry.no touching, no playing with it - just walk away
I left it overnight as I really didn't want to mess it up by fitting it too soon. I put it back on yesterday morning, only finger tight because I don't have a deep socket.
Then I went down to see Jason who correctly fitted it (As I'd not located it properly) and tightened everything down.

I'm dead chuffed with how it looks and have certainly learnt a few things about the process. I guess it really does pay in the long run to be patient. Anyway, hope you like my snazzy new hold-down. :D
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 am

By the way, here's the temperature in the shade at ten o'clock Sunday morning. Ideal paint drying weather but bloody murderous to work in. :lol:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:45 am

As you say, effort/time in the prep males all the difference in these things...
Nightmare working in that heat - especially if humid too!

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 am

Nice one mate that's a nice shade of blue :)

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:26 am

Thanks for that feedback guys. Absolutely Iain. I got myself ready, both in terms of having all the bits I needed in one spot and also mentally ready to stick to the plan and not be distracted. That's why it was such a bodge last time.
I'm chuffed that I did just that, and as a result am pretty proud of what I've achieved. I know it was not a huge job, peanuts compared to the mechanical stuff you guys undertake, but I bet you guys follow that 'plan and prepare' mantra to achieve the things I've read and seen that you've done.

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:07 pm

i think this post has nothing to do with the battery clamp its just a reason to boast about the temperature hes got , well stuff you we have had snow more fun than that sunshine :lol: :lol: :lol: ps good job on the paint :)
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:53 pm

firstlude, honestly buddy, I wasn't boasting :lol: in fact, I was jealously watching SKY news here for daily updates on all that lovely snow. I'm just bloody annoyed it didn't snow like that while I was back in the UK over Christmas.
Thanks for the ps - much appreciated ;)

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:12 pm

only pulling your leg :) was hoping for some fun in the snow with me car but couldnt get it out :lol:
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”