Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Its like a bloody whirlpool!

Oooooo .... shiny!
paul bristol uk
My Generation: 4G

Its like a bloody whirlpool!

Post by paul bristol uk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 pm

I had my Soarer repainted last month(same colour Frog Sh.t Green) plus replacement front wing(supplied by me) dent in drivers door repaired and rear bumper plastic welded all OK so far.Then when I got it back of a transporter after dark I paid £1500 in cash for the job. The next day it was raining and I was ill and Jenny had had a nasty head injury so apart from polish in the panel joins I did not go near the car for 5 days then it was frost and snow. I then had to go out in it and found the offside indicator was not working.I took it back and as luck would have it the reflections on the bonnet was a mass of swirls. "No problem said the jolly sprayer it where it has not beem polished off properly wash it in AutoGlym and they will dissapear but don't use polish for a month" Well I got Waves the local car wash to do this and of course they have not gone any more than the strange reflections on the side panels when the sun puts in an apearance. OK maybe if he mops and polishes it that will be OK.The thing that concerns me most is about 30 little digs in the middle of the bonnet in random places which show the primer. All I can surmise is when the primer was rubbed down particles were left before the 3 further stages were applied and came off with the DA during the process?
This guy came highly recommended as the paintshop manager of a BMW dealer for many years so that is why I used him.
Suggestions please, Breezeblocking his knees came to mind so don't suggest that one mercutio!
I have kleptomania,
But when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

RattyMcClelland
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 am

So the little digs...... are they raised?
Could be the primer was not blocked off properly and as you say once painted and lacquered and then denibbed and during that process it's removed the lacquer and paint laying over the raised primer.

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 am

Cowboy job. take it back, demand reply.

a hazy finish right after painting and flatting is to be accepted. like he says leave it a month for the lacquer to harden and go get a proper polish on it. thats fine. seeing primer spots through the paint is a totally unacceptable situation. Primer is porous. each one of those little nibs is open to the air and rain. water will get in under your paint and lift it over time.

Basically the whole lot needs to come off and start again. very poor standard of preparation imho.

Mind you thats a very cheap price for all that... whole car sprayed?

if he is that good he will accept the issues presented and rectify them
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:00 am

I agree: it has to go back to the shop.
International Pensioner of Mystery

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:34 pm

take it back if your not going to kneecap him (i am not sure where my rep for being violent came from lol ) :lol:
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:58 pm

hi paul sorry to hear this has happened , if mercutio wonts some company we can do a kneecap each :lol: ,the few times i have had others do paintwork for me there has been issues , this is what i hate about bodywork finding someone thats not only good but will stand by any defects that arise after hence why i try to do my own but i aint that good :cry:
Like the others take it back its not like he can argue about how it looks with defects like that in the paint .
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

Slosh2222
Supporter 2016

Post by Slosh2222 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:28 pm

I think you need the get some photos up mate and then any of us panel beaters/painters will be able to tell you exactly what they have (or haven’t) done properly
But if you are not happy then take it back because if anyone not in the trade can notice problems then it really must be a poor job

paul bristol uk

Post by paul bristol uk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 am

I took it back and showed him. He sprayed some polish over it and it showed a multitude of horrors that I had not noticed. It looked like a bad case of measels. He could not have been more sorry and said he had noticed some splits whe he flatted it back prior to painting and wondered if a reaction might happen. Result is the car is going back in about 3 weeks the bonnet is coming off and a bare metal respray is being done. Result for now.

Thankyou to all of you for your replys and I will post the outcome on the thread.

Paul
I have kleptomania,
But when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:20 am

That's not good, Paul and I feel for you. I'm with the other chaps here. A knuckle sandwich followed by a perfect respray. Or else... ;)
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:33 pm

paul bristol uk wrote:I took it back and showed him. He sprayed some polish over it and it showed a multitude of horrors that I had not noticed. It looked like a bad case of measels. He could not have been more sorry and said he had noticed some splits whe he flatted it back prior to painting and wondered if a reaction might happen. Result is the car is going back in about 3 weeks the bonnet is coming off and a bare metal respray is being done. Result for now.

Thankyou to all of you for your replys and I will post the outcome on the thread.

Paul
Well worth going back, then, Paul.
Let's hope he makes a special effort this time.
International Pensioner of Mystery

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”