Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Headlining and visor cleaning project (Update)

Oooooo .... shiny!
simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Headlining and visor cleaning project (Update)

Post by simonc » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:42 am

Hi all, emboldened by my (ahem) success with the battery tie-down work, I decided to tackle another area of the car, that frankly is well within my capabilities. I've long been bugged by the visors and headlining so a couple of weeks ago I took some action to sort it out.
My elder brother gave me an AutoGlym 'gift set' for Christmas and one of the products in the set is this:
Actually, I've used the polishing wax and the polymer finish and have been thrilled with them. I'm definitely an AutoGlym convert. However, back to the challenge.
I took out the driver's visor (So that's how you work a screwdriver then!) and worked in the shampoo with a microfibre towel and lightly rinsed it off with water.
I was a bit stupid here, as I didn't take a 'before' shot. However, here's two 'after' shots, drying under the fan.
As you can see, it came out pretty well. It was left outside under the fan to dry all day so there was no dampness after the process.
However, once I'd taken it out, I saw the muck on the headlining which needed work.
I'm sorry the shot hasn't shown it in all its naked glory, but it is pretty grubby.
Then I decided to work on the passenger visor because that was really dirty.
Especially grubby on the leading edge.
I know it's not exactly showing it, but overall, it was very grubby.
A good wash and once-over with the AutoGlym and left in indirect sunlight to dry it off.
Much better, and the shampoo smells nice as well.
However, this roller bead thing wasn't to my satisfaction. Still a bit dirty.
At this point, I'd run out of time as we had to attend a friend's wedding do. I still consider this a work-in-progress and I'll be going back to it, now I know the gist of what has to be done. Next challenge is to re-do the passenger visor and clean the bead thing then I can prepare mentally for a sweat bath of a time getting that muck off the headlining.
Thanks for looking, fellas. More anon... ;)
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by simonc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:10 am

Okay, now onto phase 2. I felt a bit more confident about what I was doing, so set aside Sunday to finish off the job properly.
As I'd done the visors a couple of weeks ago, now I needed to tackle the headlining itself. Interestingly, there was more grubbiness on the passenger's side.
The photo doesn't really show the grime. But it was enough to annoy me.
I started with both the side pieces, especially the passenger side with the grab handle.
First batch of muck.
Then after some pretty rigorous scrubbing, this is what was coming off the headlining.
As I wasn't 100% happy with the visors - I thought I'd give them another going over. I started on the passenger's as it seemed the grubbiest.
My secret weapon to try to clean the bead.
And I thought I had a reasonably clean interior. All this crap after the scrubbing was done.
Both visors done again and a quick blast in the sun. Linda's knickers not pictured. :lol:
Wheel the car into the sun for a quick dry.
Drying nicely in the shade, under the fan.
Result on the headlining. Those marks are indentations - not grime.
This area was very grubby and I'm afraid the photo doesn't do the look justice. I'm just a crappy photographer. Trust me, it's spotless.
Looks great. Kind of lifts the interior.
Now I'm happy after two rounds of cleaning.
Very happy indeed.
Just wish I could take a shot without the shadows, which don't do the interior justice. It looks great now.

Well, I know it's not most exciting post you've ever read, but I'm dead chuffed I even did it. I think the mucky water shows how grubby an interior can be. Anyway, that's my labour of love finished for the time being. Bloody hell, it's been a full on couple of weeks with her, but everything's a-okay, chez Simon. :D
Thanks for a having a gander. Cheers, Si. ;)
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”