Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Bumper fastenings

Oooooo .... shiny!
eddie_squidd
My Generation: 5G

Bumper fastenings

Post by eddie_squidd » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:22 am

Last year I had to have my rear bumper replaced on my 5th gen. I've just noticed that the front edge of the bumper is loose around where it fastens to the wheel arch on both sides. Looks like it's missing a fastening on either side.

It doesn't look like it's in any danger of coming off at high speed but obviously I'd like to get it properly fixed down. Does anyone know what sort of fastenings should be used and how easy they are to come by?

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 am

if it is same as 4th gen then its one plastic grommet that fits in the upper rear edge of the rear quarter and a screw with big washer bolts up through the upper lip of the bumper into the grommet. :) any screw will do as long as it has a washer about 1" in diameter. stainless steel screw would be best as it wont rust away.
there can be a problem getting a fix into the arch as this is where corrosion sets in....
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:30 pm

I think the original fixing looks similar to this...

The shoulder prevents you over-tightening the screw and crushing the bumper.

Pop it into the rectangular hole from below and then a large headed screw retains the bumper. A 1" washer will be too big. 15-20mm should do it.

I actually use this style though...

Simply because I've acquired loads of them over the years ;) You'd need to make sure the reach is deep enough for that method to work though.

Max

Post by Max » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Just buy a multipack of various fasteners from ebay, thats what i did.

eddie_squidd

Post by eddie_squidd » Tue May 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The car is in for a service/timing belt change with Honda today so I asked them to fit whatever bit is necessary to secure the bumper, and they tried to tell me the fitting kit would be £66. :o

The engineers will try to bodge something that will work, failing that I may go down the multipack of fittings from eBay route.

eddie_squidd

Post by eddie_squidd » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Just an update on this, I think I now have the correct clips but thought people might appreciate the diagram I found while I was researching it. There's a good discussion here on bolts for bumpers. The diagrams are very useful for showing you all the fixings, clips and bolts, although they are for JDM and AUDM as it's an Australian site so if you 5th gen Lude is a UKDM it may or may not help.

http://www.preludeaustralia.com/forum/s ... 0973a82557

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”