Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Rubber Window Trim

Oooooo .... shiny!
eddie_squidd
My Generation: 5G

Rubber Window Trim

Post by eddie_squidd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Various bits of my rubber window trims are suffering. The rear windows have both suffered with mold/lichen growth which has left marks all over them. The trims on the passenger side which tend to get more sun than they other side have started to harden and go grey, with very fine cracks on the surface. The passenger window lower trim in particular looks very grey.

I'm looking for any advice anyone can give on any of those problems! There's lots of stuff out there for making exterior trim black again, but I'm not sure it will reverse the sun damage and the loss of the rubber's oils, and do much more than paint over it. I'm also looking for something a bit more long lasting than detailing treatments which will look OK for a couple of weeks and then wear off.

Alternatively I could look at replacing the trims, but I have no idea how easy they are to get hold of or how easy they are to fit. Any advice anyone?

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:31 pm

For some types of rubber, giving them a rub with glycerine helps a great deal. It makes the rubber soft and squishy again, and it's a cheap option to try. Let us know if you decide?

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:27 pm

I used grey scotchbrite wet. Degreased with panel wipe them applied Gtechniq C4.

Should last a couple of years.

CARRisma

Rubber Window Trim

Post by CARRisma » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:41 pm

Last edited by CARRisma on Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi (H22A8 / BB8).

SPYDOR
Supporter 2014

Post by SPYDOR » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:49 pm

Looks very clean CARRisma.

I read some guides a few years ago that talked about lightly sanding off the surface 'gribble' to get them looking nearly new again, however when I tried that I went right through to the metal below as the rubber was only about 2mm thick so ended up buying replacement trim: don't make that mistake!
1999 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTI Motegi (H22A8/BB8) - 5G parts wanted
2005 Ducati 999S

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”