Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Best way to remove paint from an old motegi kit?

Oooooo .... shiny!
Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Post by Scott560 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:47 pm

So I've had a Motegi kit kicking around in the garage for over a year, and recently decided to get it sorted. After a decent amount of work refurbing some wheels, i decided to get a quote for having the kit painted (they wanted somewhere in the region of 1200quid!) and then decided to have a go myself first.

I have a few distinct issues:

1) The front lip - i think its been repainted before, and seems harder to strip than the rear. Liberal coats of Nitromors and then several going overs with the pressure washer mini nozzle have got most of the old paint off but not all. The front lip seems to have an extremely hard undercoat, some kind of acrylic? its light grey, and the nitromorse and power washer wont even touch it. I'm not to fussed about the undercoat as the rear was similar and that's primed up OK. Is there anything stronger than nitromors? The front has some seriously stubborn outer layers, the paint is harder than the plastic, so rubbing it only seems to abrade the lip, and not the paint so much... Since the plastic of the lip is so soft - i want to avoid any hard scraping as this causes more damage.

2) The sideskirts - these seems to be missing the hard underlayer the front and rear lip had, i'm guessing because they don't see impact, the outer paint seems directly adhered to the black plastic of the side skirt. Using nitromorse on here seems to have been a big mistake, its started to melt and soften the plastic where i started to strip the paint. As i peel off some of the paint, the black plastic is stuck to the back of the paint.

The rear lip , nitromorse and pressure washer seems to remove all of the outer paint (tiny bit of scraping with a metal ruler end), and I 2k primed straight over the under layer and it seems to have taken ok.

My biggest concern is the sideskirts, if I get the old paint off somehow (suggestions?) whats the best way to restore the finish of the surface? sanding is not an option i don't think because the plastic is very soft and doesn't abrade well, it galls up and mars its surface, i don't fancy trying to prep the entire surface? many layers of high build primer?

The front lip seems stubborn, but I think continuing the nitromorse and pressure washer is likely to end up OK to primer straight over (just like the rear lip).

Failing that, if anyone has a motegi kit in crystal blue metalic (b92m) then take my money...

Cheers

Scott
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Nitromors. Honestly Dove ph neutral body soap is more aggressive. It's crap.

Use Starchem Synstryp. Wear gloves and a mask and ventilated area and wipe off with towels and dispose. It will strip skin. Literally. I can't say how aggressive it is on plastic but it WILL strip the paint. It's lethal.

However best way.... P80 on a 6" da then p180, p240, p320 then primer. This is how I did this. Took me an hour on the front lip here. Stone chipped to death after 50k miles.

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:09 am

heat gun. carefully heat the paint up. it will start to soften. peel it off the plastic...

NOT MELTING THE PLASTIC, just heat the paint and it'll come off.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”