Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen front bumper sag

Oooooo .... shiny!
ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by ATR84 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am

Hey All,

After some advice.

It's funny how something you have always been aware of and ignored, suddenly becomes important for you to fix :D

The gap between my front bumper and wing get's very slightly larger as you get closer to the headlight, see below pic:

It's not that bad, but I know it's there, it's always been there since I have had the car, and suddenly it is bugging me.

Has anybody else fixed this themselves, I found this video on youtube which seems to offer a fix:

Thoughts?

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by nitin_s1 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:49 pm

You won't have that big fat black bar in your JDM car. JDM car has thinner bar but principle is the same. :thumbup:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:59 pm

ATR84 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am
Has anybody else fixed this themselves, I found this video on youtube which seems to offer a fix:

I never knew Keanu Reeves owned a 5th gen! :o

Scott560

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by Scott560 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:08 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:59 pm
ATR84 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am

I never knew Keanu Reeves owned a 5th gen! :o
Took the words right out of my mouth lol
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

ATR84

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by ATR84 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 am

Does this look like a job a relative novice can do without incident? I don't want to screw anything up :oops:

Scott560

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by Scott560 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:30 am

ATR84 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 am
Does this look like a job a relative novice can do without incident? I don't want to screw anything up :oops:
The way to look at it is, if you do it you are no longer a novice! Either you own the car, or the car owns you!

You've got a garage and driveway space, so no reason why you couldn't do a good job of it. Put down some rugs or towels so the bumper doesn't get scraped, take your time, and don't pull or tug anything too hard. Start early - check you've got the right tools, jack it up and remove the front wheels to give you better access/visibility. I always jack from the front towing eye (its pretty deep in under there), then wang 2 stands under the front sill jacking point areas, quick and easy but you need a pretty low profile jack and a long handle. Quicker than jacking the two rear ones separately.

Just make sure when you put the bumper back, the bumper isn't lifted too much, the bumper might end up rubbing the paint off the wing, then rust will creep in some years down the road.

An assistant might help with removal/refitting - although i tend to find the wife is usually reluctant in these tasks , standing there arms crossed 'Just tell me what you want me to do' , interrupting me whilst explaining what we are trying to do lol (i'm sure we have all had that!)

Otherwise, it looks pretty straight forward to me.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by RattyMcClelland » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:08 pm

What sag? :lol: That's nothing.

toadster

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by toadster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:03 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:08 pm
What sag? :lol: That's nothing.
My rear bumper had really bad sag and still has some :roll:
I wouldn't touch Your front bumper it's soooooo minor i wouldn't have noticed it.
Cheers ;)
Toadster

ATR84

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by ATR84 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:00 pm

Cheers for your comments guys.

@RattyMcClelland & @toadster I know it doesn't look much in the pics, it's a bit worse in person once you notice it but admittedly it's not that bad.

@@Scott560 you make a good point and I have got better at trying things myself recently so I have a bit more confidence than I used to. At the end of the day it's just nuts and bolts I guess. I think I will give it a go at somepoint :thumbup:

ATR84

5th gen front bumper sag

Post by ATR84 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:35 am

So, I had a go at this yesterday.

However, once I got the bumper off I realised I didn't have an extension long enough to reach the bolt inside the bumper bar. So, as it was off anyway, I decided to try the adjustment bolts on the bar instead of the washer hack Keanu Reeves suggested. Although he does mention the adjustment bolts in the video also.

The main problem with this job is that after every adjustment you make you need to put the bumper back on to test fit. This requires 2 people, so I was constantly calling the girlfriend out, she wasn't that impressed after a while :lol:

The other problem is that I have mild OCD and this type of job is a nightmare because I wanted to get it 100% perfect. Nevertheless I have managed to improve the situation I think.

Before:

After:

Do these gaps looks acceptable to people? What are everybody else's like? Be good to know what is "normal". I can still see the gap is very slightly larger towards the front of the car, once I have the necessary extension, I could take it off again and try the washer hack, not sure if it is worth it or not. I measured the gaps before and after. Before I had gaps ranging from 3mm to 6mm, after it was 2mm to 2.5mm/3mm. So definite improvement.

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”