Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Preparing for paint

Oooooo .... shiny!
tom023
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Preparing for paint

Post by tom023 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:40 am

Hi guys, I've been away for a while finishing up uni (one exam to go!), starting a new job and moving out! whew! Hope you're all doing well and staying away from the big 'rona virus.
I'm finally able to restore the Preludes 5G bodywork and I'm looking on getting a fullish respray and I want a decent job done. I do not want to remove the glass if I can avoid it so I would like some advice on what can be left in and properly prepped/taped up and what must br removed for a good result.

I'll be stripping/rebuilding the car myself, leaving the prep and the paint to a bodyshop. I'll remove the sunroof and front door glass and surround, I've already removed the front windscreens rubber moulding and I reckon the car could be painted without taking the glass out, but I'd like some experienced advice on this. Not sure about rear window and rear quarter glass either.
Cheers.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Preparing for paint

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:40 pm

With the front/rear windows I used wire and tucked it inbetween the rubber surrounding the screen and the metal so it lifts it a mm or too so I could scuff the paint under it and fresh paint would be sprayed into it to avoid peel.
It worked.
However I have minor paint peel around the side windows now. I repainted it myself in 2012, did all the prep myself and I am a painter by trade.

tom023
Supporter 2016

Preparing for paint

Post by tom023 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll use it on the rear glass. Can't see how you could get it behind the rear quarter mouldings though. I've read that they are bonded to the glass. I think I'd have to remove the whole lot and hope I don't mess up the rubbers.

You did a good job if you didn't take the rear quarter glass out and it has only just started peeling. I've seen factory paint peel quicker.

tom023
Supporter 2016

Preparing for paint

Post by tom023 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:24 pm

Sorry Ratty, I've just read that you used the wire trick on the front/rear. Not on the sides.

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”