Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Help with spoiler fittings/hardware removal

Oooooo .... shiny!
Max
My Generation: 5G

Post by Max » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:44 pm

I have removed the spoiler from my Type S as it was loose, this was due to one of the nuts securing it to the boot not being screwed all the way down. Unfortunately it was rusted really bad and would not budge no matter what i did so it needed removing to repair it properly and i had to cut it off with a dremel...

Some of the other fittings were also fubar'd but they are easy to replace, however this one i cant figure out how to remove it and was hoping that someone may have come across something like this before and know how it needs to come out before i go and attack it with a drill.

As you can see its a bit of a mess, here is the other side for reference, its messy too but salvageable...

The grey part surrounding it is all part of the plastic spoiler, i can see metal down the 3 little holes surrounding the part and the rectangular shaped slot so it all seems to be one piece. Worst case its probably pressed in and i'll have no choice but to drill it out, but the holes and the slot seem to be a clue towards it being removable somehow...

Any ideas?

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 pm

I'd probably just clean the area thoroughly, shave the studs and use a Polyurethane adhesive across the whole underside to stick it down.
I recommend Elch P1 or Sikaflex 221. My large heavy skirts are bonded with Elch to my van for the last 4 1/2 years.

Max

Post by Max » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:43 pm

Yeah there is that, i just wanted to see if i could fix it properly first, next best thing is to drill it out and epoxy a new stud in there, failing that i will just have to bond the spoiler back on.

Max

Post by Max » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:57 pm

I decided to ditch the Type S spoiler as the trunk lid needs a fair bit of rust repair work, not sure if anyone would be interested in it?

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”