Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th Gen window problem

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Howzit37
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Howzit37

5th Gen window problem

Post by Howzit37 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Hello there,

A couple of days ago, when I put my window down, it got stuck half way down. I couldn't put it back up as the window had come off of the runners.

After getting the door card off, the problem seemed simple enough. It looked like the glue in the two clips holding the window up had simply just deteriorated with time.

After a lot of knocks and scratches along with an obscene amount of swearing, it looked like the window was glued and set in place. Even though I tried putting the window back exactly where it was before, it just didn't seem to go back exactly in the same place. It was back in the clips, but just a couple of mils out. It went up and down on at least 20 practice runs before putting the door card bak together.

However, after driving around the corner and reluctantly putting the window down... the same thing happened again.

Someone I spoke to afterwards advised spraying the moving parts with some WD40... good idea?

Has anybody experienced anything similar and been able to rectify the problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Slashdotdash

Post by Slashdotdash » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:06 pm

right, ive done this on my passenger window and need to do it on my drivers side now, unfortunately ive not done a write up but i will when i fix the next 1, what i did was,

1. sand the glass where it sits in the plastic clips, this will allow the glue something to grip to
2. get yourself a tube of sikoflex from halfords, its the black sealant they bond glass in with and once it goes off its incredibly strong, my m8 uses it to bond body kits to cars! (also be carefull not to spill it anywhere!)
3. put a nice bead of sealant into the plastic clips
4. get some silicone lubricant spray or wd40 and lube your rubber glass seal
5. carefully slide the glass back into the door, and locate in runners, send the glass up on the runner to locate it and back down so you can access the bolts on the clips, then tighten them up
6. send the glass right up and make sure its perfectlly aligned and leave for a day or two to go off
7. dont use mcdonalds drive thru for a bit :)

I did this to my passenge window and its been fine ever since (over a year)
Go Hard Or Dont Go At All!

Howzit37
Supporter 2015

Post by Howzit37 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks mate, will hopefully get a chance to do it later on today. Will let you know how I get on.

Howzit37
Supporter 2015

Post by Howzit37 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Slashdotdash wrote:right, ive done this on my passenger window and need to do it on my drivers side now, unfortunately ive not done a write up but i will when i fix the next 1, what i did was,

1. sand the glass where it sits in the plastic clips, this will allow the glue something to grip to
2. get yourself a tube of sikoflex from halfords, its the black sealant they bond glass in with and once it goes off its incredibly strong, my m8 uses it to bond body kits to cars! (also be carefull not to spill it anywhere!)
3. put a nice bead of sealant into the plastic clips
4. get some silicone lubricant spray or wd40 and lube your rubber glass seal
5. carefully slide the glass back into the door, and locate in runners, send the glass up on the runner to locate it and back down so you can access the bolts on the clips, then tighten them up
6. send the glass right up and make sure its perfectlly aligned and leave for a day or two to go off
7. dont use mcdonalds drive thru for a bit :)

I did this to my passenge window and its been fine ever since (over a year)
Couldn't get the Sikoflex from Halfords, seemed nobody there has heard of it, probably not something they stock anymore. So I got something similar which was good for bonding things to glass.

Followed your steps and everything looks good so far. The window is back in place with the clips in the correct positions. Just have to leave it for a couple of days...no McDiddy's for a couple of days :D

Hopefully it's sorted, so a big thanks buddy.

Once you do your other window, you should definitely do a full write up as it was pretty useful.

JayJay
My Generation: 4G

Post by JayJay » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 am

Howzit37 wrote:Just have to leave it for a couple of days...no McDiddy's for a couple of days :D
You do know you can *park* at McDonalds and *go inside* :P

Repped you -.-

A write-up would be good though ;)
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Slashdotdash

Post by Slashdotdash » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:47 am

Great glad to be of service! i think sikoflex is a brand name, got mine from a chap at work but i know halfords sell it in little blue/white squeezie tubes, dont forget the silkone lube for the runners helps alot, well youve spured me on to do mine now (on nights tonight) so pics incoming soon :)

Slashdotdash

Post by Slashdotdash » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Right how tos now in the how to section

Howzit37
Supporter 2015

Post by Howzit37 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:42 pm

JayJay wrote:
Howzit37 wrote:Just have to leave it for a couple of days...no McDiddy's for a couple of days :D
You do know you can *park* at McDonalds and *go inside* :P

Repped you -.-

A write-up would be good though ;)
Repped you?

JayJay
My Generation: 4G

Post by JayJay » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 am

Give him +rep (the little green/red hands on the left, if someones done good you give them +rep ;) )
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”