Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

In car Computers - Show yours off

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Ammo
Admin | Spammer Assassin
My Generation: 4G

Post by Ammo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:33 am

Not killed mine yet, and that's on crap suspension and bad roads. Could be due to it being mounted on the glove box though, it's got a bit of give to it

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:02 am

would it not be easyer to use an i phone :lol: wouldnt be as cool though. on a another note, how difficult is it to run an aux into my gathers original multichanger? i cant figure how as the head unit requires signals from the multichanger, i dont want to run a blank cd and go that way :?

always wondered how a hard drive would stand the test :D i figured using a 60gb memory card with no hard drive, i have 2 jordonas sitting in the loft, these run windows on a fash drive (no hard drive), it also has a usb i could put a card reader too. then i thought wouldnt it be easyer just to fit an aux input for my current sterio and run my phone through it :D but cant figure how :cry:
Last edited by littlefeller on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gayno
Lord Gayness

Post by Gayno » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:39 am

Rich wrote:Oh well. Still, nice build - at least it's yours now :) It wasn't PUK where I saw it, think it was a car pc forum or something. I'll see if I can find it for you if you like, to give you some more recorded history.
As Ammo said, probably Digital Car.

Don't worry though, I'm good mates with previous owner (currently have most his tools at my house :twisted: ) so I've known this car just as long as anyone else!

Kawa
XBOX GamerTag: kawa222

Post by Kawa » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:18 pm

littlefeller wrote:how well do the hard drives cope, what with bumps and all that?
I killed no end of standard and laptop hd's.
So i suspended one with rubber straps inside an metal case (like a spiders web) all good ever since.
Until i ripped all the interior out about 3 years ago, so it's all boxed away now. :)

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Kawa wrote:
littlefeller wrote:how well do the hard drives cope, what with bumps and all that?
I killed no end of standard and laptop hd's.
So i suspended one with rubber straps inside an metal case (like a spiders web) all good ever since.
Until i ripped all the interior out about 3 years ago, so it's all boxed away now. :)
yes that is how the multichanger innards are mounted, must have had the same problem with earlyer cd players too. supose the best place would be mounted to the cathers multichanger (remove the innards and use the suspended chassis)

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Going to tidy mine up a bit first before posting pics :oops:
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Rich
Pickle Rich
PSN GamerTag: richardofeston

Post by Rich » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Gayno wrote:
Rich wrote:Oh well. Still, nice build - at least it's yours now :) It wasn't PUK where I saw it, think it was a car pc forum or something. I'll see if I can find it for you if you like, to give you some more recorded history.
As Ammo said, probably Digital Car.

Don't worry though, I'm good mates with previous owner (currently have most his tools at my house :twisted: ) so I've known this car just as long as anyone else!
Oh, OK mate nice one. Yeah Digital Car rings a bell.

I'm well up for building one now. I liked the boot build cos you can use full size ATX motherboards & components (which I have plenty of kicking about in the loft), but after seeing Ammo's glovebox installation I'm thinking of going down that route (to keep boot space). Solid state drives are coming down in price (around £1/Gig I think), and for a carputer I probably wouldn't need the drive to be massive. Anyway, I'll stop clogging up this thread now seeing as I don't yet have one to show off! :)

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:36 pm

i havnt either :twisted:

Gayno
Lord Gayness

Post by Gayno » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Rich wrote:Solid state drives are coming down in price (around £1/Gig I think), and for a carputer I probably wouldn't need the drive to be massive. Anyway, I'll stop clogging up this thread now seeing as I don't yet have one to show off! :)
I got an email from ebuyer this morning, they have an OCZ 120GB one for £99.99 now, if I hadn't just lost my job, I'd be buying one ASAP!!

I've got a laptop hard drive and has been through 3 installs, and has never given me a problem. As long as you mount them sideways (you can see mine on the side of the box) this drastically reduces the chance of the heads hitting the platters when you hit a bump.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”