Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Overheated car in the sun for eight hours (Help!)

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Alan
My Generation: 0G

Post by Alan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi Simon,

If everything inside the car is very hot, the efficiency of the aircon is very low and it will take a while until is starts cooling the inside.

simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by simonc » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:30 am

Hi @Alan, you know it's very interesting what you wrote. Yesterday, just to try another method, I left the air-con on even though it was blowing hot. Yes, of course it was bloody miserable but after five or six minutes it did begin to cool down.
Not quite brass monkeys but a damn sight cooler that my switch on/switch off methodology which had got me nowhere.
Perhaps it's just a case of grin and bear it and wait till it kicks in or even start the car, leave it running for a while while I have a ciggy and wait for it to cool down.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:28 am

What sort of air temperatures are we talking about? 30C in Singapore today?
Uncovered, you could easily add 15 degrees to that inside the car. If this is the case, it's probably not fair to ask a 20 year old car's aircon to get down to chilled in under 8-10 minutes.

Have you got a fridge at work? Put a couple of plastic bottles of water in it all day and drive home with them on your lap. Do this after the ciggy and you'll get the full benefit.

(If after all this, you still decide you need to discard clothing, please send pics. The homo-erotic tone of some of the recent posts demands it.)
International Pensioner of Mystery

simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by simonc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:53 am

I think you're right on the money there, @Sailor. I meant to buy a thermometer over the weekend but I forgot to. I wanted to show you guys (and check myself) the temperatures inside the car when the sun is at Gas Mark 11.
The 'set-it-going-and-have-a-fag' process seems to work. I guess the old girl is coping with the high temperatures in the cabin and like you said, my 10-15 minute commute doesn't give it enough time to recirculate the air and reduce the stored heat in the seats and the dash.
I did buy a car cover which I'm going to use this week. I'll let you know how I go on.
Thanks again, Si.
ps: Sailor, trust me. There's absolutely no homo-erotic look to the dashing simonc, 'sans clothing'. I think my naked puny frame would even be a turn off to the desperate nonces currently doing time in D-Wing at Strangeways. :lol:
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”