Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Overheated car in the sun for eight hours (Help!)

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Overheated car in the sun for eight hours (Help!)

Post by simonc » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:33 am

Hi all,
Because of the local council's wisdom, a number of prime parking spots outside my office have been designated for Disabled drivers which has created a problem for me. (I have no problem with disabled drivers getting designated bays, by the way.)
My problem is that my car is now in the fierce sun for up to eight hours a day, (average air temperature 31 to 35 degrees), where as before, my car fell into the shade of my building at around three o'clock, now, it's in the sun all day long.
As you can imagine, the bodywork gets a severe roasting.
Now what's happening is that when I leave, at around seven-ish, the sun is on the wane but the latent heat has created a problem. When I switch the air-con on, it just blows hot air. It's absolutely awful. Not only is the car still hot, but add to that a hairdryer on full blast blowing into the cabin as well.
I've tried switching it on and off on the drive home, switching to Auto but nothing works. The light is on, I can feel the air-con is on but it just blows hot bloody air. It's a miserable drive home I can tell you.
It's interesting that when I get home, obviously the sun's going down so it's a bit cooler. If I leave the car for an hour or so and then start it up again, the air-con will blow cold air.
So it's obviously summat to do with Blue Beauty being baked at Gas Mark 10 all day.
My questions are these:
1: Is the sun baking down on it creating a problem under the bonnet with the air-con?
2: I know you guys (other than perhaps @Greg-SiR) don't really face this heat problem daily but do you think I have a fault somewhere?
3: Will a car cover help?
4: Is there a fix that'll overcome this sauna effect?
Any help/thoughts would be most welcome. Regards, Sweaty Si. ;)
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 am

move to Scotland and you wont have this problem :lol:
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

norks27
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Post by norks27 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Come back to blighty, fecking cold here!!

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:15 pm

I feel you Simon,both my Preludes are A/c less at present,it makes for one sweaty trip to and from and i work in a kitchen too so most of my day in work is in 35ish too,filth!

My cars get the full sun on a normal day here yes and it's the same as your temp across the islands at this time of year but i find regular washing and a good carnauba wax helps protect them good enough from Uv's,even the carbon fiber hood has faired well with just this.

I did upgrade silvers shift knob to an Aluminium one the other week and my hand nearly melted after i went to shift it on first drive :lol:

Just using a windscreen reflective shield now it helps me from doing any harm to myself.
Those seats of yours must get hot too..

Bring the car for an inspection Simon,most places will not charge for diagnosis,i'm trying to get mine to one at the moment.

I wouldn't have a clue tbh ;)
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:07 pm

Hullo Si - When was the last time the air con was gassed?
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:43 pm

are these guys just winding us brits up with there its so hot here :lol: :lol: , spare a thought for us i have to de-ice my car in the mornings let alone the other morning i couldnt get in cause the locks where frozen surely thats a bigger problem :D :D
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

rrobis

Re: Overheated car in the sun for eight hours (Help!)

Post by rrobis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Car cover could help to reduce the heat a little bit (depending on the cover of course) and Aircon should blow cold at the start, so there probably is some sort of leak or no gas at all.
As for paint and finish - extensive heat from sun is OK, the UV is the one that ruins things. You should wax your car more often during summer season to preserve the bodywork :)
4gen Prelude JDM H22A LSD Accord CM1 Type-F
Image Image
Sortaflush. offset is something

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Cover's can be a pain if you're using every day, but they will certainly help reduce the UV exposure.

How long's your drive home? It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get the aircon nice and cold. As others have suggested: get the aircon checked.
International Pensioner of Mystery

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:46 am

Actually, I should have mentioned that my drive home is 10 to 20 minutes max, depending on the traffic. Advice noted, chaps. I'll let my air-con guy have a look on Monday. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks as ever, and enjoy the brass monkey temperatures back in Blighty. :D
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:36 pm

simonc wrote: and enjoy the brass monkey temperatures back in Blighty. :D
What, like that white stuff I can see floating down past my window?
International Pensioner of Mystery

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”