Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Dizzy Rotor A PITA

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Dizzy Rotor A PITA

Post by Greg-SiR » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

The Bb4 died on me at the weekend literally 30 seconds from my work which i always appreciate the old girl when she is bowing out she gets me as close to safe as is possible ;) ,last was the alternator which held on till i was 1km to home from a 100km trip,i had two workmates push me the rest right into my parking spot this time :lol:

Anyways diagnosed ICM so i have a spare jap one here with the red dust syndrome but the fecking rotor wasn't happy coming off to get the ICM out and broke.

Is there a nak to it?and yes the screw was off :lol: ,old parts fatigue could that be all...

The manual i have is US so same as Aus spec the ICM is external which would be simples.

Just don't want to break my own rotor to do the swap.

If the donor is shot it can be had for $30 on the bay so easy fix just don;t want to go damaging parts i need.
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

Shiny
My Generation: 0G

Post by Shiny » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm club handed, but have only ever been able to get the chocolate screw out with an impact screwdriver thingy - one that you smack with a hammer and it does a quarter twist as you hit it. Then replace the shitty screw with a solid little alan key screw jobby in case it happens again.

Shiny
My Generation: 0G

Post by Shiny » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Sorry, just reread your post, you managed to get the screw out then. I've only ever had problems with the screw.

Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Read my experience :( I gave up and bought a new one.

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/post301774.html#p301774

If you have a Dremmel you should be able to get the rest of the rotor arm off, although if that bit is so heavily corroded what is the rest like? That is the reason why I got a new dizzy.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by Greg-SiR » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Shiny wrote:Sorry, just reread your post, you managed to get the screw out then. I've only ever had problems with the screw.
Thats all good thanks for the ideas though,it's funny i had a crack at the screws with normal phillips? and flat head screw drivers and had given up before all the heads had been trashed,got the impact screw driver out and 2 taps on all of them=off 8-)
Only second time to use the little tool in 2 yrs and it 's served it's purpose again other was discs changing.
Merlin wrote:Read my experience :( I gave up and bought a new one.

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/post301774.html#p301774

If you have a Dremmel you should be able to get the rest of the rotor arm off, although if that bit is so heavily corroded what is the rest like? That is the reason why I got a new dizzy.
Just read yours there,bad aren't they but in fairness they put up with a lot through their time in there and the donor and the Bb4's are probably stock parts.

The donor has the red dust and all screws were pretty corroded but the rotor and points look good.
Wondering if this swap out of the ICM's can be done without taking the whole distributor off the car?
If i get that far.
I might try heat the material up to give it some light leverage to encourage it off but yeah could be replacing the dizzy like yourself but i hope not,hard to find them over here.

Light hands and patience then ;)
95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”