Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th gen power folds.

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
JLB
My Generation: 5G

5th gen power folds.

Post by JLB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of all the bits required to retrofit these please?

I’ve got some on the way and we just want to make sure everything needed is included.

Scott560

5th gen power folds.

Post by Scott560 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:21 am

Long post warning - don't do it!

As long as you have the mirrors, and the relay, you can make it work...

I wouldn't want to try and retrofit it to a car without, as you'd have to start messing with the door loom and all the rest of it. i had a UKDM car with heated non folding mirrors, and simply 'added' the folding part completely by itself, by merging the mechanisms and adding my own wirings and switch.

1) you need the mirrors, the relay/control box , some small gauge wire (naff speaker wire is fine), and some kind of doorbell type momentary push switch...

2) Fitting the mirrors physically is quite easy, but it gets trickier as you go on. Your current mirrors will only have 3 wires, but you need to run an extra 2 wires for the folding motors. This is a pain, you will need to chop connectors off, take your door apart, and then try to run the wires through the door into the cabin.

3) then you have to try and run the wires out of the door, and into the inner wing. I did not try to do this through the OE connector because that would be a royal pain in the arse. I drilled a small hole in the side of the door skin, and then ran it out into the rubber gasket/conduit which i cut a tiny slit into.

4) then i pulled it through the inner wing, i cant remember how , i think the rubber conduit is pulled off the connector, i don't think i've reseated it, i'm a bad man (im not too happy about it, but you cant easily drill the inner wing without removing the wing!)

5) then under the dash you need to find a permanent 12v feed (im sure there is a spade on the fusebox for this), zip tie the relay box under there, but before all of that work out what the wires are. I think i mentioned in a previous post. the relay box has 5 pins, the middle pin is what grounds the switch to open/close, the next 2 outer ones are the 12v input and ground, and the outer most pins (so 1 and 5) are the ones that link both mirrors together (or those 2 pairs might be reversed, long time ago).

To do a propper job is big old task, and it will never be OE because of the missing pins and loom, and its a lot of work to try and repin the connector, especially the one in the door - you'd need to take the door off, or at the very least the window mech out to get to it proper.

Unless you like messing around for hours - i wouldnt bother retro fitting them, its still on my list of things to tidy up, and i'm pretty sure i spent collectively an entire day just to get mine done pretty slap dash (And that didnt include rebuilding the mechs)

I also seem to recall the mirror adjustment motors were wired differently between my UKDM and the folding mirrors, as i had to merge mechanisms as my folding mirrors were not heated, so i blended the 2 together to have both folding and heated mirrors with seperate controls, but then had to faff around to get up/down/left/right the same as before.

If the mirrors are sticking or causing trouble, prepare for another half day to dismantle the mech - and seriously, the spring loaded slip ring will be impossible to put back together without a vice and various sockets/drifts. If you loose the bearings you'll be sorry (suspect ebay/bicycle shop would have something suitable).

Happy i've got them - but wouldn't recommend doing it unless your happy with wiring and lots of work. Good news is you can wire it all up on the bench before fitting...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

JLB

5th gen power folds.

Post by JLB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like fun!

I have other wiring jobs that need finishing so will get it all sorted in one go once I get my garage built.

Just to confirm is there one relay or two required (one for each mirror)?

Scott560

5th gen power folds.

Post by Scott560 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:11 pm

1 relay only - you then wire up both mirrors in parallel to it. Do it temporarily first on the bench, because if you have 1 wing mirror reversed, 1 will open and 1 will close. Once you've sorted all that out, then you can transfer to the car.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”