Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Auto to Manual 5th gen key stuck

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
crxdriver
My Generation: 5G

Auto to Manual 5th gen key stuck

Post by crxdriver » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:58 am

OK so i have done the conversion finally. I have a problem though. The key will not come out. It can be in position 1 (stereo on) and 2 (dash lights on) and starts the car fine (position 3?) but it wont come out. It will not even go into position 0 or whatever it is. If i disconnect the battery i can take the key out fine. I connected the pins 3 and 1 together and wired them and 9 to the reverse as in the guide. I have a reverse light working and also the car starts. I must have wired it correctly and made it think its in park as i can start the car. I have spent a few hours now looking for solutions and nothing so time to ask for help.

Thanks.

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Not sure about the 5th gen but on the 4th there is a little inspection hole in the under side of the steering column. You have to remove a small platic cover to get to it (once you take off the lower steering column trim). I once got a newly cut key stuck in the barrel of my 4th gen.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:08 pm

There is a little mechanical bit in the ignition that is electronically controlled with a solenoid, which on the auto stops you taking out the key in anything other than park. Because ecu's have been removed its not getting the signal anymore.. Remove the barrel and the bit that stops the key being removed.
Last edited by Vtecmec on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crxdriver

Post by crxdriver » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:09 pm

I could get the key out with the battery disconnected so dont think that inspection hole would help. I was pretty sure it was to do with the immobilizer. So i decided to have a dig around. I seem to have sorted the problem although i dont know how it works. Ive just unplugged the immobilizer control unit next to where the key goes in. The car still starts as normal and i can now remove the key. Although i thought the immobilizer would default to not letting you start the car if unplugged lol. The car drives spot on with no engine light but for some reason when checking to see if i had any codes it just gives a solid cell. It will do until i can get a map for my P28.

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:33 pm

no its the gearbox park solenoid that you have removed stops it holding the key
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

crxdriver

Post by crxdriver » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:41 am

Oh cool. Well as long as i can get the key out all is good. Although to read fault codes now i need to remove the lower column plastic and re-connect the plug else for some reason it gives a solid cell instead of telling me fault codes. Wierd but it will do until i can get a good map for my P28.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”